Please stop pitching Cano in the ninth

banks703

11 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Sending Irvin down was inexcusable. He was pitching pretty well in the rotation, for that matter, when they moved him to the pen. I’d rather see him start a game than Kremer right now. But sending him down while keeping Fujinami and Lopez was a mistake.

I don’t know what they were thinking optioning Irvin, one of the only guys able to legitimately eat multiple innings. And now it’s costing them.

10 hours ago, andymax said:

This might shock you to hear, but most professional athletes aren't as mentally soft as the kind of person who posts non-stop complaints on the internet after every loss. Going to take a shot in the dark here and say you were probably chicken-littling all over the place after the first two games in the Rays series.

You are two posts in so let me refer you to our board rules. We do not attack the poster here regardless of their opinions. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Please tell me which pitcher you trust in the ninth in every single save opportunity besides Cano right now.

I haven't really trusted Cano since June or so.  He always seems to be pitching on the edge to me.  Only guy I truly did was Felix and now he is most likely gone. 

Pitching is going to bite these guys in the end.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I haven't really trusted Cano since June or so.  He always seems to be pitching on the edge to me.  Only guy I truly did was Felix and now he is most likely gone. 

Pitching is going to bite these guys in the end.

I trust him in the right situation. Last night was not a favorable matchup for YC and that is my gripe. The only guy on the roster that should have a set role in the pen is Felix. Cano just doesn’t have the ‘miss ability’ to pencil him into the ninth going into every game. I realize that Felix Bautistas don’t grow on trees. I’m not even necessarily complaining about Cano. With the current roster construction I just don’t like the set roles in the pen, which includes saving Cano for the ninth. 

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

Sending Irvin down was inexcusable. He was pitching pretty well in the rotation, for that matter, when they moved him to the pen. I’d rather see him start a game than Kremer right now. But sending him down while keeping Fujinami and Lopez was a mistake.

Nobody, and I mean nobody would have taken Lopez and his contract off waivers this late in the year. Even if they did, so what? 

Sending Irvin down was a terribly short-sighted move. I was shocked when they did it because it left them with no bulk reliever and that meant way too many one innings relievers would need to be used.

During a 17 game stretch, this bullpen needed at least two bulk relievers to survive.

But I think Elias is hoping they can hold off the Rays and then get those days off and have his bullpen regroup with some rest.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Nobody, and I mean nobody would have taken Lopez and his contract off waivers this late in the year. Even if they did, so what? 

Sending Irvin down was a terribly short-sighted move. I was shocked when they did it because it left them with no bulk reliever and that meant way too many one innings relievers would need to be used.

During a 17 game stretch, this bullpen needed at least two bulk relievers to survive.

But I think Elias is hoping they can hold off the Rays and then get those days off and have his bullpen regroup with some rest.

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I trust him in the right situation. Last night was not a favorable matchup for YC and that is my gripe. The only guy on the roster that should have a set role in the pen is Felix. Cano just doesn’t have the ‘miss ability’ to pencil him into the ninth going into every game. I realize that Felix Bautistas don’t grow on trees. I’m not even necessarily complaining about Cano. With the current roster construction I just don’t like the set roles in the pen, which includes saving Cano for the ninth. 

Good points all around.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Can we do something like bringing up McDermott or Povich for a start and push everyone back? DFA Lopez or someone. Have Flaherty ready to take whatever of the game that they can't finish. Push the starters back one day and give everyone else in the pen a break?

I think we should explore this. Would be a good use of Jorge's spot on the 40 man. They could eat innings in the bullpen down the stretch even if they don't start. Could also DFA Voth to clear another spot. 

Yennier Cano has a 2.19 ERA on the season. That's better than the closers (team leader in saves) for all but four other teams (five if you count Felix Bautista). He has a 1.03 WHIP. That's better than the closers of all but five other teams (six if you count Bautista).

But yeah, let's keep the scrub out of the ninth inning...

Edited by ChosenOne21

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yennier Cano has a 2.19 ERA on the season. That's better than the closers (team leader in saves) for all but four other teams (five if you count Felix Bautista). He has a 1.09 WHIP. That's better than the closers of all but eight other teams (nine if you count Bautista).

But yeah, let's keep the scrub out of the ninth inning...

I was surprised to hear Classe had 11 blown saves and we have him a 12th. He is one of the guys most would consider elite.

5 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Also worth noting that Cano has had two bad games in September and one poor one. But he didn't give up a single earned run in August and only two in June. I have truly never seen a reliever this good be this picked apart by these boards.

I have seen it lol .. Go back to Jim Johnson threads or Zach even or Jorge last year.  We are a fickle bunch  lol

The point is that right now YC is pitching in a different role as closer than he did all year and that yes he was outstanding and amazing in early months, but he was in the noncloser role… and this is late September and he has not been nearly as effective in the closer role.