Please stop pitching Cano in the ninth

banks703

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Hall was pitching back to back nights already after going 1.1 the night before.  I doubt Hyde even wanted to use him in the first place let alone pitch him another 1+ innings.   Cano was the one guy who was rested out there.  

This. Heck, I am iffy on Hall pitching at all. We squeezed enough out of the Hall pip. Did Cano suddenly stop being pretty good?

5 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I get that but this is playoff baseball. He threw 17 pitches last night over 1 1/3 and threw another 19 tonight in 2/3 tonight. Like they said on the broadcast - get the first out in the ninth. With two lefties starting the ninth, Cano was not the guy to pitch to them. Hall was in the game. He looked good and was effective. Got to give him the ball there for the L on L to start the ninth. 

Hall wasn’t even crisp tonight. No K’s, 2 hits.  Hyde went with his number 1.  Don’t get the criticism. 

How can you say Hall looked good tonight?

Edited by eddie83

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Hall wasn’t even crisp tonight. No K’s, 2 hits.  Hyde went with his number 1.  Don’t get the criticism. 

The two hits were an infield hit that Urias booted and a seeing eye single. I agree with the overall point that lifting him for Cano was the move. 

1 minute ago, Moshagge3 said:

The two hits were an infield hit that Urias booted and a seeing eye single. I agree with the overall point that lifting him for Cano was the move. 

They were hit over 100mph. Urias should have made play but not like he wasn’t letting up solid contact. 

Fair enough. 

The title of this thread should be - "Let's shuffle the deck chairs" which is what taking Cano out of the closer role would amount to. The problem is the starters and I think the time has come to go back to the five-man rotation and get the extra arm back into the 'pen. Not sure who I would take out, Kremer I guess but I don't see what else can be done if the starters are going to continue to go 5 innings or less. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

The title of this thread should be - "Let's shuffle the deck chairs" which is what taking Cano out of the closer role would amount to. The problem is the starters and I think the time has come to go back to the five-man rotation and get the extra arm back into the 'pen. Not sure who I would take out, Kremer I guess but I don't see what else can be done if the starters are going to continue to go 5 innings or less. 

They are using a 5 man rotation. And since they have gone back to it, starters are struggling to get 6+ innings.

2 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Just imagine how demoralized this offense feels right now. Though they also made their "contribution" in the field, so perhaps they shouldn't be mad.

This might shock you to hear, but most professional athletes aren't as mentally soft as the kind of person who posts non-stop complaints on the internet after every loss. Going to take a shot in the dark here and say you were probably chicken-littling all over the place after the first two games in the Rays series.

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Were you watching the game? The hit by Ramirez was an infield hit. In the Naylor AB he got squeezed a bit on two pitches in a count that full before Naylor singled to center.

He was 98 on the 4seamer to Ramirez who reached on the IF single off of a good change.

He went 2-0 on Naylor with two sliders that at least the first one could have been called a strike. He came back in the count to 2-2 before going 3-2 on a slider just off the plate. Naylor fouled off a curve and then took another slider to center for the single.

I’m not suggesting Hall was lights out there but the two batters to start the ninth were lefties. Let him start the ninth. He’s unavailable tomorrow no matter what. 

9 minutes ago, vab said:

Flaherty is already out of the rotation and in the bullpen.

With the loss behind us, I feel less reactionary…

that said, it is astounding that we have the record we have with this atrocious BP. I get it, we lost our closer, the SPs can’t make it out of the 4th, we play 17 games in a row… blah,blah,blah.

Players make plays and although we have had our clutch moments throughout the year, the entire team is coming up small at the worst possible time. We could start to hit at a drop of the hat but no one can feel confident that this BP will magically get better with rest. 

finally, I could get over all of this cuz it’s just one game but I’m still aggravated that our asshat owner can’t shut his mouth and routinely reminds us that he’s the Dan Snyder of the MLB. Sorry for the rant.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Seriously, what do you suggest?  Cano was the only guy in the entire pen who didn’t pitch on Thursday.  

Dude I’ve tried to type a response four times now. The f’ing ghost links are too much tonight.

I hate the set roles in the pen. If they’re going to matchup then they should be matching up with Cano just like they are with everyone else. Lefties have gotten to him A LOT this year.

I realize that DLH threw yesterday but he was throwing well tonight. Let him start the ninth tonight against the lefties. If they need to bring in Cano, then bring him in after DLH faces the lefties.

DLH is going to be unavailable the rest of the series anyway. He only threw 17 pitches. He’s 25 and he was extended as much as three innings. Let him start the ninth.