Eppler Does Stearns' Dirty Work Then Resigns

cboemmeljr

Just now, SteveA said:

ESPN is reporting that Eppler resigned amidst an MLB investigation into the Mets' practice of using the "phantom disabled list" -- putting guys on the IL who aren't hurt enough to not be able to play, for roster considerations.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38577028/billy-eppler-quits-general-manager-new-york-mets

Good for MLB.

Maybe I'll stop reading posters suggesting that players step into potholes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The pitchers are adjusting to him, now he’s going to need to adjust back.  I still don’t know what level of hitter he’ll be when he finally settles in at his level.   I do know that the depths Mateo reached last year are exceedingly rare.  
    • We are the better team with the much better trade chips/minor league pieces. Any move they can make we can counter and then some!
    • The walking part is true, though I was a little surprised to see how much worse Cowser's K and BB rates both are compared to last year. 2023 he ran a 22:13 K:BB, this year it's 33:9.  Obviously this year's overall results are better. But it seems like he's still calibrating the aggression meter to MLB pitching and the current iteration has led to crushing the baseball (he's at 99th percentile barrel percentage), but a ton of K's and less BBs. Hopefully he can find a happy medium, similar to how Gunnar evolved away from being too patient at the beginning of last year. 
    • First of all, this comp makes no sense. Mateo had a history of not being that good. His ML stats weren’t good and his MiL stats were very underwhelming. Meanwhile, Cowser was a talented, top 5 pick out of college who put up huge MiL numbers.    Im not surprised Cowser is struggling some. He’s playing everyday and playing vs all lefties. In a perfect world, he would be sitting a few times a week right now but the injury to Hays has hurt that. That said, he has had some bad calls against him and is still doing something positive every game. Despite the garbage throw yesterday, he has a highly rated arm and is playing very good defense overall.  I do wonder if he hurt his knee yesterday though. That will be something to watch. But yea, I don’t see this as a comp worth mentioning. Just far too many differences between the 2 players.
    • Urias off the team, probably. Or an injury. Given how much they value Urias' glove, I suspect he'd have to be terrible at the plate all the way through the All-Star break before they'd consider that kind of move.
    • I'd trade him for Bryce Miller before I traded him for Mason Miller.  That not a knock on Mason either but I will take a good young starter over a great young reliever any day.  
    • @RZNJ’s Liranzo thread reminded me that the FCL season starts tomorrow!  Have we heard what the roster will be?
  • Popular Contributors