Red Sox Insider On GM Search: 'Nobody Really Wants It'

jabba72

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Oh, they’ll find someone.  I hear Dan Duquette is looking for work.  

Finding someone and actually being competitive in the AL East are two different things. They fired Bloom who apparently was trying to do a rebuild. 

12 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Finding someone and actually being competitive in the AL East are two different things. They fired Bloom who apparently was trying to do a rebuild. 

Pretty funny way to do a rebuild. $188 mm payroll the last two years, 6th oldest group of position players in the majors, 5th oldest group of pitchers, four years in to his tenure as GM.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:55 PM, JimGinSP said:

I bet he would do a better job there than Buck did in Queens. (And yes I realize Buck had a good 1st year)

I agree Duquette did ok with the Orioles despite not being able to make investment into international player development, and dealing with ownership, Buck and Brady having input into making roster decisions. 

Duquette will never get a second chance with the Red Sox. If the Orioles can get Elias then the Red Sox can find someone they might have to settle for a relative unknown. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I agree Duquette did ok with the Orioles despite not being able to make investment into international player development, and dealing with ownership, Buck and Brady having input into making roster decisions. 

Duquette will never get a second chance with the Red Sox. If the Orioles can get Elias then the Red Sox can find someone they might have to settle for a relative unknown. 

From what I understand of the current situation it would be the O's situation but the new GM can't get rid of Buck and Brady.

• Upvote 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:36 PM, jabba72 said:

Bloom should absolutely get another shot IMO.  The way I read it is that he was walking the tightrope of rebuilding the org that started to apply some type of financial responsibility during his tenure while appeasing the owner/fanbase.  The court of Wins and Losses passed the final judgment but Bloom did exactly what was expected when they fired Dombrowski...  Now Henry can put lipstick on the PR pig.

Red Sox fire Dave Dombrowski: Inside what led to the move - Sports Illustrated

Dave Dombrowski opens up about Red Sox firing: ‘I don’t think I was treated right’ – NBC Sports Boston

Henry did Dombrowski dirty then.  He's doing Bloom dirty now.