Brad Ciolek leaves Baltimore for Washington

backwardsk

We will be okay so long as Ciolek doesn’t try to poach @Luke-OH!

It’s always been a little unclear to me whether Ciolek did any direct scouting or was more of an overseer of the process.  This is one area that we know Elias keeps a hand in and I think it’s likely he’ll be able to find a good person for Ciolek’s role and assure that the processes developed under his watch remain in place.  However, I’m sure Ciolek will be an excellent addition to the Nats’ staff.  

13 hours ago, backwardsk said:

This kid of confirms that Ciolek was more of an administrator than a typical "Scouting Director." I'm honestly not sure how involved he was in the selection process and feel Elias was definitely the guy who made the final calls on the top picks at the very least. 

I always thought his title "Director of Draft Operations" suggested he was more on the administrative side of preparing the information for the draft team, which includes Sig and of course Elias. 

I've always was under the opinion that Elias was the quasi scouting director in that he helped shaped the final board and philosophy. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This kid of confirms that Ciolek was more of an administrator than a typical "Scouting Director." I'm honestly not sure how involved he was in the selection process and feel Elias was definitely the guy who made the final calls on the top picks at the very least. 

I always thought his title "Director of Draft Operations" suggested he was more on the administrative side of preparing the information for the draft team, which includes Sig and of course Elias. 

I've always was under the opinion that Elias was the quasi scouting director in that he helped shaped the final board and philosophy. 

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/07/08/orioles-contending-elias-less-involvement-teams-draft/

I agree Elias was involved a great deal in the upper echelon picks, but according to this article and many others near the draft this year, he said he took a step back. Ciolek did a great job getting depth down in the draft. The pitching drafts until this year were not of much substance, so be it. 

I think Ciolek is a bit of a loss as he has done a very good job since Elias elevated him. It is a good sign when other organizations poach our guys. They want our guys and our processes that have been successful. He is replaceable, sure.

I would not be surprised to see Matt Blood go elsewhere. I also think he is very good at his job. I think he would be a bit more of a loss. He has been instrumental in finding the outstanding coaches we have had in the minors. Apparently has a vast network of contacts that he developed at Team USA. 

Edited by Jammer7
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2023/07/08/orioles-contending-elias-less-involvement-teams-draft/

I agree Elias was involved a great deal in the upper echelon picks, but according to this article and many others near the draft this year, he said he took a step back. Ciolek did a great job getting depth down in the draft. The pitching drafts until this year we’re not of much substance, so be it. 

I think Ciolek is a bit of a loss as he has done a very good job since Elias elevated him. It is a good sign when other organizations poach our guys. They want our guys and our processes that have been successful. He is replaceable, sure.

I would not be surprised to see Matt Blood go elsewhere. I also think he is very good at his job. I think he would be a bit more of a loss. He has been instrumental in finding the outstanding coaches we have had in the minors. Apparently has a vast network of contacts that he developed at Team USA. 

Maybe, but I still don't know whether Ciolek was making picks or was more of administrator. They say it was a promotion and his job looks to be basically the amateur scouting director for the Nationals.

I don't know honestly, but my guess is the organization as a whole as some depth in this area.

• Upvote 1