Just a Rumor

Tryptamine

16 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

could someone provide a refresher on what the implications would be if JA and family were to sell now versus after Peter passes away? I assume there would be major estate tax implications though admittedly dont know the workings of that.

There are major estate tax issues whenever the team is sold, before or after Peter passes.   The way to avoid them is not sell the team and keep the team in a trust.   JMO.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Really? It looks like an investment firm. What gives you the insight that they are willing to spend to win? I'd be more concerned that they are looking to add it to the portfolio of cash cows.

I probably … picked poor wording, sorry.  All second hand info,  I just happen to know the person that gave me the info well enough that he was excited about its potential to change the dynamics of the off season/future.  

Probably just Drinking a little Kool-Aid or REALLY hoping he’s right on this..

Edited by Keygans

34 minutes ago, Br10n said:

The Carlyle group is chop shop. They have no regard for the employees of the companies they buy. I know nothing about this rumor but they absolutely destroyed the Fortune 500 company I worked for and drove them to bankruptcy… but made millions for themselves. I hope this rumor is completely false.  

It's private equity's M.O. 

Load up the balance sheet with debt.

33 minutes ago, Keygans said:

I probably … picked poor wording, sorry.  All second hand info,  I just happen to know the person that gave me the info well enough that he was excited about its potential to change the dynamics of the off season/future.  

Probably just Drinking a little Kool-Aid or REALLY hoping he’s right on this..

I think Rubenstein and Leonsis together could be a pretty intriguing option.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

It's possible one of the sons used their gaining their "father's approval" as a negotiating tactic.

It's certain that any investor, doing the very minimum bit of research, would know that Peter is out of the game.

Wishful thinking is the only reason to consider the possibility of this happening.

JA is not the owner but the major partner so there are others in the ownership group that presumably would have a say in any sale.  Also, if I not mistaken, both the commissioner's office and a significant number of the other owners would have to approve the new owner.  Yes?  I'm guessing that both these things would have an impact over the rapacious impulses of your random private equity barbarian horde.

36 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Rubenstein and Leonsis together could be a pretty intriguing option.

Leonsis doesn't bring a lot of liquid assets to the table, so if he's a majority owner, expect something similar to what's in place now. That could be good for those who like continuity with the current group, but bad if you want him to hand out $300 million guaranteed contracts.

Ted's big goal is to build out his monumental sports network. He wants 365 day programming. The Wizards and Capitals aren't enough, so he reportedly wants baseball as well. It would make a lot of sense for him to go after the Orioles and/or MASN, but most sense for him to go after the Nationals and simply move them to Monumental with the MASN litigation wrapping up. If he went after the O's, it raises some interesting possibilities re: the future of MASN. My guess is it would essentially be subsumed into Monumental, perhaps continuing with multiple channels.

But the Nats have apparently cooled on selling. I think Ted's trying to get a bargain and the Lerners (who negotiate hard on everything) aren't having it. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But again, the rumor could be off about a few details.  It could be Rubenstein, who is a main figure head for the firm as the primary guy and could be other Carlyle group investors (they have some big ones) who are also involved in the purchase.

Something could have been lost in translation.

BTW, I doubt this is true. I’m just saying it’s possible and there are reasons to at least not completely dismiss it.

Seems to me like a pretty unlikely detail to get wrong.  And the stuff about the purchase price and PA’s involvement also seems way off base.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Leonsis doesn't bring a lot of liquid assets to the table, so if he's a majority owner, expect something similar to what's in place now. That could be good for those who like continuity with the current group, but bad if you want him to hand out $300 million guaranteed contracts.

Ted's big goal is to build out his monumental sports network. He wants 365 day programming. The Wizards and Capitals aren't enough, so he reportedly wants baseball as well. It would make a lot of sense for him to go after the Orioles and/or MASN, but most sense for him to go after the Nationals and simply move them to Monumental with the MASN litigation wrapping up. If he went after the O's, it raises some interesting possibilities re: the future of MASN. My guess is it would essentially be subsumed into Monumental, perhaps continuing with multiple channels.

But the Nats have apparently cooled on selling. I think Ted's trying to get a bargain and the Lerners (who negotiate hard on everything) aren't having it. 

Rubenstein with Ted as a minor if they are buddies

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Ted's big goal is to build out his monumental sports network. He wants 365 day programming. The Wizards and Capitals aren't enough, so he reportedly wants baseball as well. It would make a lot of sense for him to go after the Orioles and/or MASN, but most sense for him to go after the Nationals and simply move them to Monumental with the MASN litigation wrapping up. 

He can’t simply move the Nats to Monumental.  MASN has the rights to broadcast the Nats in perpetuity.   The litigation only relates to what the fair market value of the rights fees were in 2012-16.   It’s got nothing to do with MASN’s exclusive rights to broadcast the games.  Now if MASN wanted to sell the rights, that would be a different story.  But it’s not something Leonsis could do unilaterally if he owned the Nats.