Does Zach Britton belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?

Frobby

Does Zach Britton belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zach Britton belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/23 at 03:07

Zach Britton officially retired today.  He played for the O’s from 2011-18, posting what undoubtedly was the greatest season for any O’s closer in 2016 when he saved 47 games without a blown save and posted a 0.54 ERA. He’s second on the O’s all time saves list with 139 (Gregg Olson is first with 160).  Olson and fellow relievers Dick Hall, Stu Miller, Tippy Martinez, and Eddie Watt are in the O’s Hall, along with Hoyt Wilhelm, who both started and relieved.  

So, does Britton belong in the Orioles’ Hall of Fame?  I’d say the answer is undoubtedly yes.  But his plaque needs to say Zach, not Zack!

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yes, kinda the Koufax/Pedro rule for him.  

I really don't like that none of the guys we got back for him panned out. 

He was an expensive rental coming off a severe injury and not terribly effective.

Can't expect too great a return.

Edited by Can_of_corn

32 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Yes, kinda the Koufax/Pedro rule for him.  

I really don't like that none of the guys we got back for him panned out. 

Britton was worth 1.9 rWAR for the Yankees.   Tate has been worth 2.4 rWAR for us.  Hopefully we can still extract some more value from him - Elias apparently thinks so.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I have total faith that he will get a SP and a RP, and those will be without trading any of the top 3 prospects. And the only player Kjerstad could go for is Crochet. (I don’t think Skubal will even be available, and even if the Tigers listen on him he won’t be dealt.) What I don’t have total faith in is how good those SP and RP will be. I think the trade deadline is very unpredictable, and Elias is not the type to overpay to get Option A. He’s more likely to get outbid on Option A and pivot to Options B, C or D at better value, and that all has to happen very quickly in a compressed timeframe right before the deadline. So if things don’t break right they easily could end up with some underwhelming guys like last year.
    • Things to consider… We’re sort of pot committed to try and win a WS this year since we have Butnes.  What has more value?  Skubal for 3 postseasons or Holliday for 6?  Give me the SP.  Isn’t it risk adverse to acquire Skubal and have a big 3 rotation to limit having a red hot lineup beat you?  Ala Rangers.  If not Skubal now, we still have to make a big trade in the offseason to replace Burnes. Why not make the trade now and have that SP paired with Burnes?
    • Are they? Wells doesn't throw hard by today's standards, neither does Means.  
    • IMO I see Skubal as helping us much more than Fedde next year.  I’m concerned about this outlier season from Fedde as nothing more than catching lightening in a bottle (especially at his age and with his track record before this season). Also, for all of the concern over Skubal and Crochet’s innings, Fedde has only thrown something like 133 innings as a career high in a single season.
    • With the caveat that we may have to trade some of their best friends to get those guys.  Do you regard Scherzer as a TOR pitcher you’d be happy getting as the top get?
    • I’m gonna play devils advocate for giggles.  As much as I want to win 2024, I don’t want to trade any of our standout prospects for a starter. I’m growing more and more fond of pitchers who have success because of pitch location and don’t max out on velocity. They’re less sexy, but they’re less vulnerable to TJ and cost less to acquire. Skubal is undoubtedly one of the best pitchers in baseball, but he’s upped his velocity each of the past two years. Means was a middling prospect until he found more velocity…..until he wrecked his arm. How are we going to feel about our competitive window if we give a huge haul for someone like Skubal and he’s under the knife in August? If the Royals stank and Seth Lugo was available, that’s the kind of guy I’d be targeting at a smaller cost of talent. Only a few teams are really out of the WC. If Oakland would trade Joey Estes for Connor Norby (spitballing suggestion only, don’t attack me), we’d probably lose our minds that ME didn’t shoot higher. But all things considered, including risk aversion, I’m not convinced that kind of pitcher and trade (preferably a lefty) wouldn’t be better for us. I don’t want to be on the flip side of a Bedard trade. We can sign a top FA starter (Rubenstein willing) who blows out his arm and not be deeply impacted, but we shouldn’t spend our prospect capital for a short term ace rental who’s lost to injury for his tenure….I’m more inclined to protect our competitive window. 
    • I don’t think any pitcher is a given. All of them carry the risk of the next pitch being the last for the season. But risk should be weighed vs potential reward. The proposition to be considered is what is more risky? Acquiring a starter with very high potential for reward (like Skubal) who is at risk for injury vs. acquiring a lesser talented starter who offers less upside yet still is at risk for injury vs. doing nothing/rolling with what we have with pitchers who are almost assuredly to give you a much lower ceiling and still carry the risk of injury.
  • Popular Contributors