Kyle Gibson signs with the Cardinals

Going Underground

51 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wells vs Irvin for the 5th spot. Maybe DL Hall in there. Elias did say that closer was a higher priority over SP. Hope we get Kimbrel. 

I can only see Wells being effective for half a season and after that his arm breaks down. So you would need to plan on someone taking his spot in the rotation once he breaks down again. Maybe Wells is a better fit as a mid reliever? That's something I'm sure the front office and ciaching staff are discussing together.

I also hope we can get Kimbrel. But I have to think the Phillies are still in on him heavily.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

You'd rather have no one than Gibson's 192 innings? Good luck getting that from Kremer or Wells at the back end of the rotation. 

I hope we aim higher than Gibson, too, but I'd still take him over absolutely no SP acquisitions. 

Kremer had 172 last year with one less start than Gibby, I wouldnt put it past Kremer to hit 190 this year. and I bet his ERA will be better than 4.72 as well

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I can only see Wells being effective for half a season and after that his arm breaks down. So you would need to plan on someone taking his spot in the rotation once he breaks down again. Maybe Wells is a better fit as a mid reliever? That's something I'm sure the front office and ciaching staff are discussing together.

I also hope we can get Kimbrel. But I have to think the Phillies are still in on him heavily.

There is no evidence to the contrary, but I’m very wary of seeing three data points and calling it an immutable pattern.  We certainly can’t go into 2024 planning on having a full season from Wells and no back-up plan.  But, I wouldn’t be that surprised if Wells made it through a season, either.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t mind them signing Lynn and don’t mind them signing Gibson but no idea why they are signing both.

Wonder how many starters they play on adding?

They are one of our competitors for pitching on the trade market.

So far the Cardinals are doing us a favor by taking all of the guys we don’t want.  Next they’ll be signing Adam Frazier.