Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Nobody ever lost betting that John Angelos is a cheapskate, but the O's have too many prospects and need to get rid of some of them.  My preference would be for pitching.

I think if it was really like that, Elias would be trading the veterans.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Nobody ever lost betting that John Angelos is a cheapskate, but the O's have too many prospects and need to get rid of some of them.  My preference would be for pitching.

They absolutely have to trade some prospects. It’s foolish to say otherwise.

The trades don’t have to be this offseason but it makes little sense to wait. 

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

What if they traded the veterans instead?

They still need to trade some prospects…now, to be clear, I’m not saying they have to trade anyone in our top 5..Cowser and Kjerstad absolutely can both stay.

But they very likely have to trade multiple guys out of players like Norby, Stowers, the several college OFers/CIF type guys they have drafted the last few years. These guys are all going to be running into each other soon.

Ortiz or Westburg will have to be dealt too..but that doesn’t mean it has to happen right now.  

Personally, I think they need to trade 2 of Santander, Hays and Mountcastle and one of Urias or Mateo and I still think they need to move prospects even if they did that. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course the system puts them at a disadvantage to do these deals.  I don’t see how that’s even debatable.  Doesn’t mean they can’t do them, but it’s much easier for a big market team to do them. 

I agree. They certainly can do this type of deal but like all deals that have risk, they can’t afford to miss. It’s clear in the current system that certain clubs can accept more risk than others. That’s a factual statement. 

16 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I think if it was really like that, Elias would be trading the veterans.

Sure, trade a couple of them too.  If 2023 taught us anything about Elias and Hyde, it's that they aren't comfortable without a strong veteran presence on the team.  Unless some moves are made this winter, the number of rookies on the team on opening day will be fewer than those ready for a job, and that's a waste of resources.

• Upvote 1

“I think it’s fun for us to be in position where we can get into every trade conversation, but I also think this perception that we have too many prospects and we need to get rid of some of them, that doesn’t register with me. We want to have a very talented organization. We need to make good trades. We don’t need to jettison players. So, that’s what we’re focused on doing. But I think we’re very open to and very realistic about making our prospects available because there’s some impact players out there, possibly, on the trade market and you’ve got to give something to get something.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/elias-1-2

• Upvote 1

Any update on Aaron Hicks?  It’s nice to have a SH that can play CF. No Hicks… means a RH OF could be needed. 

vs LHP

1B - Mounty

DH - Open

LF - Hays

RF - Santa

CF - Mullins/Mckenna/Open

I like Hilliard’s upside over Mckenna. So that leaves a bench spot and someone to plug into the OF vs LHP to keep Santa fresh, and Mullins away from tough LHP. Hicks fits perfectly. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Any update on Aaron Hicks?  It’s nice to have a SH that can play CF. No Hicks… means a RH OF could be needed. 

vs LHP

1B - Mounty

DH - Open

LF - Hays

RF - Santa

CF - Mullins/Mckenna/Open

I like Hilliard’s upside over Mckenna. So that leaves a bench spot and someone to plug into the OF vs LHP to keep Santa fresh, and Mullins away from tough LHP. Hicks fits perfectly. 

Hilliard backs up all 3 outfield spots.  Mateo spells Mullins against a LHP here and there plus backing up SS and PR.   McKenna gone.   

Two statements by Elias don't really go together.

1). I feel no pressure.

2) I want the pitching at the end of the off season to be better than it was a month ago.

Most of the free agents will be signed in the next 60 days.  Same with the trades.  If Elias wants to improve the pitching he should be feeling  some pressure.

If he is fine with what he has then I can see there is no pressure.

Edited by wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Two statements by Elias don't really go together.

1). I feel no pressure.

2) I want the pitching at the end of the off season to be better than it was a month ago.

Most of the free agents will be signed in the next 60 days.  Same with the trades.  If Elias wants to improve the pitching he should be feeling  some pressure.

If he is fine with what he has then I can see there is no pressure.

He meant no pressure at the meetings specifically, as in the next few days.