Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t buy this either.  It’s not like locking up high level, MVp talent is a bad thing for incoming owners.

Plus, these guys are already under team control for the next several years anyway…we are talking 5-7 years from now before the salaries get “expensive”.

I'm watching the Commanders completely implode. Part of that is they're terrible at everything they do, but another big part of that is they couldn't do anything to improve (scouting, coaches, free agents) last offseason. They were left hung out to dry so they could have clean books for the new ownership group. 

You might not think it matters, but what's another $50 or $100 million in a sale price? That's a lot of money. Not to mention he gets to clean up on the way out with these low payrolls.

All I'm saying is things might be a little different if JA envisioned owning this team in 18 months. 

7 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

M's have said they are 'less likely' to trade an SP as well.  But I wouldn't rule it out completely.  If we have one of our top 5 prospects available, I tend to think SEA and CLE are a good match with their young/plus arms.

51 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't even buy the Angelos is cheap angle. That's the effect, but I think it misses the point. I still think they're just waiting for Peter to pass away, at which point they'll sell. They want very clean books for the sale, and Elias simply has to operate within that reality.

I agree with you on the sale but IMO I don't think "clean books" are that much of issue-it's more tied up money and bad contracts and the Orioles have neither.  It could possibly affect longer FA contracts but good contracts and/or extentions are not necessarily less attractive.  There aren't too many sports franchises for sale that are plug and play elite and that should be more of a factor in valuation than a few contracts IMO.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gotta say, that was about as slow a Day 1 of the winter meetings as I can remember.   Just surfing MLBTR, very little happened anywhere and not even many very solid rumors.   

I wish they held the meetings at a very cold winter city, so the GM's would be stuck inside that they would make deals more likely! They wouldn't be able to play golf !  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

What if Elias shocks us all and comes home from the Winter Meetings with Rodriguez and Cease.  Would we have the best staff in baseball?

And don’t forget about Soto as the much coveted MOO bat missing from the O’s lineup. 

Hopefully we can get a starting pitcher this week and a bullpen arm would be nice too. My preference is leaning towards Rodriguez since he won’t cost any prospects to land. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I’m sure he feels some pressure.  He’s not going to say that publicly.  He wants other teams to know, “hey we won 101 games and I’m ok having the best AAA team of all-time for depth if that’s what it comes down to.  I’m not making a trade just to make a trade.  If it makes sense, we’ll do it.”

Two things. He’s tempering fan’s expectations and letting the other teams no that they aren’t going to get him to cave in.

Reading between the lines, our starter is coming through trade or not at all.

Best AAA always makes me think of early 70's Rochester.     Bobby Grich and Don Baylor had to repeat in 1970-71 even though they were awesome because reserve clause and the MLB Orioles were an all-time great.     Grich 's Oriole career would be a dream outcome for Jackson Holliday; 1972-1976 fWAR sees him as having been MLB's 3rd most valuable Bat (Bench, Morgan).

Johnny Oates, Terry Crowley, Ray Miller and Dave Boswell all played for the '71 Red Wings.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/team.cgi?id=337a85a1