Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I think this was always one of the more likely bullpen solutions. 

He'll start off as more or less the full time closer. If he does well, he could keep it for the full season. If he struggles, someone like Cano or Hall will take over. Then we say thanks for the year. 

This is the 2024's version of the Gibson signing. 

Hopefully it's not the Givens signing.

• Haha 1

I don't like a Kimbrel signing because it feels like we'll probably be paying more for the name than the actual pitcher (at this point in his career). And if it's more than a one year deal then I REALLY hate it. Honestly I'm a bit surprised Elias seems so focused on getting someone with closing experience as opposed to just a "good" relief pitcher. 

And from a purely superficial standpoint the idea of having to watch Kimbrel and that silly bat wing delivery for a full season is making my cringe. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

For the life of me I don't understand why people don't like this signing.

He's got a plus fastball and curveball. He can miss bats (12.3 K/9). He's got a ton of playoff experience,

Neither lefties or righties hit him very well:
RHB: .179/.253/.359/.612
LHB: .184/.302/.306/.608

Last year he allowed too many homers (11) but only 7 would have been out of Camden Yards. 

I think people are being influenced by two bad outings in the NLCS.

Personally I think he will be great addition to the bullpen, even at 36-years old. 

I will even get used to his stupid vulture pre-pitch stance!

I think people just don't like the signing because fans are craving a multi-year contract just to know that JA isn't pocketing money.  So people will be angry at any 1-2 year deal, but estatic if we gave Stephenson 3-4 years.  People just want to see a "big" move, and "big" money being spent.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's got a plus fastball and curveball. He can miss bats (12.3 K/9). He's got a ton of playoff experience,

Last year he allowed too many homers (11) but only 7 would have been out of Camden Yards. 

Personally I think he will be great addition to the bullpen, even at 36-years old. 

I have no idea. A lot of people on this board don't like Yennier Cano either

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is a good move considering there’s no way the Orioles have a chance at signing Hader. Short term deal for an established reliever with Bautista out next year is just what this team needs.

And I’d rather have Kimbrel over Chapman or signing another Givens like reliever. That said this isn’t final yet and hope this gets done. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

I don't like a Kimbrel signing because it feels like we'll probably be paying more for the name than the actual pitcher (at this point in his career). And if it's more than a one year deal then I REALLY hate it. Honestly I'm a bit surprised Elias seems so focused on getting someone with closing experience as opposed to just a "good" relief pitcher. 

And from a purely superficial standpoint the idea of having to watch Kimbrel and that silly bat wing delivery for a full season is making my cringe. 

The actual pitcher had a 12.3 K/9. FB averaged just under 96, same as previous year. I'm not seeing a red flag other than age. 

I can't imagine Elias will go more than a year. If that is the case I would agree, but Elias's m.o. has been to overpay in dollars to keep his target guys at one year (Lyles, Gibson, Frazier). 

• Upvote 1