Craig Kimbrel - Signing

E-D-D-I-E

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Where does he fit on the roster?  4 lefties is hard to carry in a bullpen.   Sometimes the player with options gets sent down because they have the options.  Coloumbe was a rock for us all year.  Perez really came on and had a great 2022 as well.  Irvin can eat innings, rubber arm, showed 95 when used in strictly one inning stints.  We're pretty good with LH relievers.  Unless we do a LH for RH reliever swap to open up a spot for flexibility.

Perez for a RH version?  

Where does Hall fit on our roster?  Did you notice how he was used in September and the playoffs.

4 lefties. 5 lefties.  I don’t care.  If Tate is back, this is the bullpen.  Why is it hard to carry 4 LHP?

Kimbrel

Hall

Cano

Wells

Coulombe

Tate

Perez

Irvin

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Now obviously he'll be 36 next year so you don't know how he'll really be, but I like his signing a whole lot more than the Givens signing last year.

That's true.  I thought the Givens signing last year was an average move....I don't think anyone of us saw the disaster it turned out to be though.  This is a far better signing, for sure.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Where does he fit on the roster?  4 lefties is hard to carry in a bullpen.   Sometimes the player with options gets sent down because they have the options.  Coloumbe was a rock for us all year.  Perez really came on and had a great 2022 as well.  Irvin can eat innings, rubber arm, showed 95 when used in strictly one inning stints.  We're pretty good with LH relievers.  Unless we do a LH for RH reliever swap to open up a spot for flexibility.

Perez for a RH version?  

Keeping DL Hall off the roster for Cole Irvin is certainly an interesting take. And yes I’m aware Irvin is out of options.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Where does Hall fit on our roster?  Did you notice how he was used in September and the playoffs.

4 lefties. 5 lefties.  I don’t care.  If Tate is back, this is the bullpen.  Why is it hard to carry 4 LHP?

Kimbrel

Hall

Cano

Coulombe

Tate

Perez

Irvin

Baumann or Webb

I still think Wells instead of Irvin here. But if we don't acquire a SP, then yeah, Wells stays in the rotation. I guess I'm just very convinced we acquire a SP, which is probably dangerous of me to assume. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's true.  I thought the Givens signing last year was an average move....I don't think anyone of us saw the disaster it turned out to be though.  This is a far better signing, for sure.

There were some major red flags with Given's knee and weight that the Orioles ignored and flushed $5 million down the drain. I don't see Kimbrel being anywhere near the risk that Givens was.

• Upvote 2

Just now, interloper said:

I still think Wells instead of Irvin here. But if we don't acquire a SP, then yeah, Wells stays in the rotation. I guess I'm just very convinced we acquire a SP, which is probably dangerous of me to assume. 

I'm not sure why you're convinced we acquire a SP.  I'll maintain that they're looking for Bradish to repeat what he did, a full year of G-Rod at his 2nd half performance level (or close to it), a fully healthy Means, Kremer to be a 4th/5th and Wells/Hall/IIrvin to fill out the last spot.  

Might get some more bullpen pieces here but I think the rotation is largely set.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I goofed.  Just edited to include Wells in the bullpen.  Looks like Baumann and Webb could both be trade bait or in Webb’s case possibly DFA.

• Upvote 1

Last year, Felix had an 85% save rate.  Kimbrel was at 82%.   Over 33 save opportunities, that’s one extra blown save.   

I don’t think Hyde will be able to lean as heavily on Kimbrel in terms of workload and two-inning outings.  Kimbrel never threw more than one inning last year, and I doubt Hyde will push him beyond that either.   So those extra inning games will be more difficult without Felix.  

I think we’ll be okay though, with either Hall or Wells in the bullpen, and maybe both.   Hopefully Tate is as healthy as advertised.   That will allow us to be gentler with Kimbrel and leaves us multiple backup plans if he falters. 

• Upvote 2

Any dislike towards a 1 year deal for Kimbrel is just unfounded and not logical.

Again, last year he gave up 9 runs in 2 Ip over 3 appearances. He gave up 16 runs over 67 IP and 68 appearances.

Which is more indicative of the player…3 appearances or 68 appearances? 

I get that those 3 appearances still happened but if you can’t see how that SSS skews the numbers, I don’t really know what to tell you.

Now, maybe he will fall flat on his face. You ever know, it happens but nothing in his stat line says that should be expected and all you can do is go off what your scouts think and what the numbers tells you.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure why you're convinced we acquire a SP.  I'll maintain that they're looking for Bradish to repeat what he did, a full year of G-Rod at his 2nd half performance level (or close to it), a fully healthy Means, Kremer to be a 4th/5th and Wells/Hall/IIrvin to fill out the last spot.  

Might get some more bullpen pieces here but I think the rotation is largely set.

Honestly, it's because Elias has said he wants to upgrade the rotation several times. He almost always does what he says he's going to do. Even last year, he wanted to get a rotation guy and he got Cole Irvin and Kyle Gibson. Said he wanted a bullpen arm and starter at the deadline, and got Fuji and Flaherty. Whether or not these were great acquisitions is another conversation, but he almost always does what he says. 

I think I will be pretty shocked if he doesn't come away with SOME kind of SP, whether it's a technicality like Uwasawa or a boring guy like Wacha or an exiting guy like Cease. But the fact that he says he wants it to be an upgrade to me sounds like it has to be somebody who makes Kremer the 5th starter, at least. Wacha would fit that bill for me. Or any of the trade targets we've discussed ad nauseum. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So you’re totally ignoring/not believing anything Elias said about adding a starter?  No problem.  Seeing is believing but there’s plenty of smoke out there.