Juan Soto to the Yankees - looking likely

kidrock

Soto just provides so much power and on base abilities.  Defense is very poor and I wonder what happens on defense if they have Soto long term to go with Stanton and Judge.

any offense that adds Soto is instantly far more dangerous and tough to get through.

11 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Looks like the expected Opening Day lineup for them would be something like Verdugo in LF, Judge in center, Soto in RF.   Stanton DH.

I think that is a very risky plan for a full season to keep running Judge out there in center at 32.

It's amazing to me how good he is in Center field.

They can give him some at bats at DH while Stanton is on the IL.

It looks like San Diego didn't even get a top 100 prospect for Soto.  Would King be looked at as a Kremer equivalent w/ way less experience.  The only positive I can think of for the O's is that the Yankees just gave up a lot of their pitching depth, so when someone gets hurt (Rodon is a guarantee) there will be less of a backup plan.  There is a huge gulf between what San Diego gave up for Soto and what they got back in trade.  If the Padres can only afford a payroll around $200 million, their team will have more holes than swiss cheese.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Looks like the expected Opening Day lineup for them would be something like Verdugo in LF, Judge in center, Soto in RF.   Stanton DH.

I think that is a very risky plan for a full season to keep running Judge out there in center at 32.

We may get to have fun when Trent Grisham passes Giancarlo Stanton on the OF/DH power rankings, and then Stanton falls to a bench role.

Ben Clemens at Fangraphs wrote the sunk costs, Yankees should just cut Giancarlo angle in his piece.     He could be like luxury Aaron Hicks for some opportunistic '24 team.

1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

If Cohen outbids them on Yamamoto, look out. Besides Cole, their rotation is awful. 

They didn’t get a combine 2WAR from their corner infielders and don’t really have a plan but to run them back. And they are both over 34.

It will be good theater if they miss Yamamoto, and then every pitcher's agent bumps up the asks in negotiations.

Jordan Montgomery is a true Yankee and would never do such a thing, right?