Bloomberg: Carlyle Group/David Rubenstein In Talks To Purchase Orioles

ThisIsBirdland

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

What exact clarification do you want Moose?

Be very clear: What do you want me to clarify for you?

Sure.  

Here's your post:

28 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Cutting corners is one thing.  Gross corruption is one thing.

I find the guy's career arc interesting.

He's a government lawyer.  He starts a VC fund in DC.  He becomes a billionaire.  He gives a lot of "charity" to government organizations.  That's a tidy little loop there, isn't it?

A few things to clarify:

1.  You've mentioned gross corruption several times in regards to Rubenstein.  Where's the concrete evidence that Rubenstein is corrupt both as an individual and as a partner in the Carlyle Group?

2.  What's interesting about his career arc to you?

3.  Why does it seem unfathomable to you (there I am, putting words in your mouth!) that a government lawyer could start a VC fund in DC and become a billionaire?  

4.  What did you mean by a "a tidy little loop"?  If this "tidy little loop" is some sort of a "gotcha!" moment, what's the "gotcha!"?  

8 minutes ago, MTMan13 said:

Brother I dont know you and I'm not trying to start a fight, but Carlyle is not a VC fund. Today it's a massive asset manager with multiple strategies, but it started as a leveraged buyout fund (think Apollo, KKR). Carlyle and funds like them got rich by levering the piss out of cash flowing businesses that they bought at relatively inexpensive multiples (drifted much higher over time as LBOs became commoditized and hyper competitive), with tons of ultra cheap debt issued at higher levels (debt / cap or leverage) than public companies typically support. The whole movement happened over 40 years starting in the 80s, and has resulted in private pools of capital owning an increasing portion of businesses and cash flows in the USA, spurred wealth accumulation by the elites through carried interest structures etc. It was all directly financed by the taxpayer through low central banking borrowing rates inconsistent with the levels of risk / money supply in the economy, which common people are generally fans of because it helped us get cheap mortgages, consume more etc. 

HUH??? lol

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The only thing I can say is that two separate people have given me these indications long before they were in this article. 

This is why I said in another thread that a change of ownership this offseason may be in the cards and may be part of the reason for the lease not being completed.

To me it seems like it's the other way around where the lease is holding up the sale of the team. But who knows, it's all nonsense. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Sure.  

Here's your post:

A few things to clarify:

1.  You've mentioned gross corruption several times in regards to Rubenstein.  Where's the concrete evidence that Rubenstein is corrupt both as an individual and as a partner in the Carlyle Group?

2.  What's interesting about his career arc to you?

3.  Why does it seem unfathomable to you (there I am, putting words in your mouth!) that a government lawyer could start a VC fund in DC and become a billionaire?  

4.  What did you mean by a "a tidy little loop"?  If this "tidy little loop" is some sort of a "gotcha!" moment, what's the "gotcha!"?  

1. I don't have concrete evidence of his corruption.  I am free to speculate though.  We do have direct evidence, indisputable, that this guy has made a lot of money in the "defense" industry.  He also happened to be in a meeting on 9/11/01 with a member of the Bin laden family, who was the "guest of honor" at their investors gathering.  I can't help it if you're not as curious a cat as I am.

2. He works for the government.  He starts a company and makes a lot of money, often off government contracts.  He turns around and "donates" some of that money back to the government.  That's interesting to me.  You don't have to find it so, but I do.

3. It doesn't seem unfathomable at all.  Seems to happen a lot.

4. Public money being given to a private individual who then in turn funnels it back to the bureaucrats who handed it to him in the first place is the tidy little loop.  Again, you don't have to be curious about these things, but I am.

Just now, Frobby said:

I think Pickles made up his mind here without knowing much about David Rubenstein.  Personally, I’m praying this goes through.   I can’t say Rubenstein is perfect, but I do know he doesn’t need to live off profits from a baseball team, unlike John Angelos.

I won't say my mind is made up, as I have serious misgivings about this guy.

I hope he turns out to be an amazing owner.  He may well become just that.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Pickles made up his mind here without knowing much about David Rubenstein.  Personally, I’m praying this goes through.   I can’t say Rubenstein is perfect, but I do know he doesn’t need to live off profits from a baseball team, unlike John Angelos.

As long as he’s smart enough to keep Elias.  That’s my one requirement for new ownership.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

1. I don't have concrete evidence of his corruption.  I am free to speculate though.  We do have direct evidence, indisputable, that this guy has made a lot of money in the "defense" industry.  He also happened to be in a meeting on 9/11/01 with a member of the Bin laden family, who was the "guest of honor" at their investors gathering.  I can't help it if you're not as curious a cat as I am.

2. He works for the government.  He starts a company and makes a lot of money, often off government contracts.  He turns around and "donates" some of that money back to the government.  That's interesting to me.  You don't have to find it so, but I do.

3. It doesn't seem unfathomable at all.  Seems to happen a lot.

4. Public money being given to a private individual who then in turn funnels it back to the bureaucrats who handed it to him in the first place is the tidy little loop.  Again, you don't have to be curious about these things, but I am.

John D Rockefeller made a ton of money off of government contracts.  The government gave him land to build railroads and he charged premium prices them to use his railroads.  Who is Elon Musk's main client for Space X?  The government.  It's the American way -- at least if you've wealthy and influential.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

What seems more likely?

1. Rubenstein purchases the Orioles.

2. Angelos botches the negotiation , steps on his own shoelaces and trips and spills his peppermint latte all over his khakis, falls in a puddle and before he can get up, gets served a lawsuit by his own mother, or some sh*t like that. 

I find it funny that we all hate the guy for the same reasons but most of us assume he's not gonna totally screw this up. 

I think this news is leaking because it's real. This thread is a low-key way to announce a major celebration.

I remember thinking the same thing when Snyder announced he was essentially looking to sell the team. It wasn't this definitive bombshell that a sale would happen. People speculated about his motives a million different ways, but in the end the truth was right there to see. His reign was over.

I think the Angelos reign is similarly over.

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

John D Rockefeller made a ton of money off of government contracts.  The government gave him land to build railroads and he charged premium prices them to use his railroads.  Who is Elon Musk's main client for Space X?  The government.  It's the American way -- at least if you've wealthy and influential.

Sure, but I find building electric cars and rocket ships to be less odious than profiting off bombing foreign countries.

Somebody else said, hate the player don't hate the game.  I feel like I got enough hate to go around.  ;)

• Haha 1