MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Guaranteed.

I actually like it when the Yankees or Red Sox, or in this case the Jays, make these "big splash" moves.  They so rarely work out in favor of the club.

A lot of these deals work out okay for the first several seasons but really drag in the back half.  Cole has certainly worked out in the first 4 years of his deal.  Five years to go, and he has an opt-out after next year that the Yankees can avoid by guaranteeing him $36 mm for 2029.

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

12 years/$600m doesn't seem like a prudent investment?

For a guy with his second elbow procedure. A contract like that you are COUNTING on him coming back and being an ace-level SP. That's.... technically possible? But man that is a dice roll. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A lot of these deals work out okay for the first several seasons but really drag in the back half.  Cole has certainly worked out in the first 4 years of his deal.  Five years to go, and he has an opt-out after next year that the Yankees can avoid by guaranteeing him $36 mm for 2029.

Sure, but short term gain long term pain is a terrible way to build an organization so I encourage them to do so.

Ohtani is an amazing player.  Clearly the most talented player in my life time.

It's still not going to be good for your team to be paying him 50 million dollars in 2029.

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they miss the playoffs or struggle to make it, are You going to go through all the comments about how everything is ok because we won 100 games?

Im sure you will be over that!

Why should he when you're here to do it for him.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Sure, but short term gain long term pain is a terrible way to build an organization so I encourage them to do so.

Ohtani is an amazing player.  Clearly the most talented player in my life time.

It's still not going to be good for your team to be paying him 50 million dollars in 2029.

If he’s an 850-950 OPS hitter and the best closer in the game (which is where I think he will be by then), it’s not a bad deal. 

It really depends on how much his offense drops off.

And of course, the ancillary value of what he brings off the field.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he’s an 850-950 OPS hitter and the best closer in the game (which is where I think he will be by then), it’s not a bad deal. 

It really depends on how much his offense drops off.

And of course, the ancillary value of what he brings off the field.

Well, don't forget, that's just the mid-part of the deal.  And frankly, imo, that's pretty wishful thinking.

I honestly think if you really wanted to maximize his value, you'd just give up on the pitching and have him be an every day right fielder.  Now, he doesn't want that, so that's not really an option, but the pitching confines him to DH, and it keeps getting him injured.

17 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, don't forget, that's just the mid-part of the deal.  And frankly, imo, that's pretty wishful thinking.

I honestly think if you really wanted to maximize his value, you'd just give up on the pitching and have him be an every day right fielder.  Now, he doesn't want that, so that's not really an option, but the pitching confines him to DH, and it keeps getting him injured.

Why would you give up the pitching?  That makes zero sense.

If you mean, you don’t pay him to pitch and if he does, that’s gravy…I agree with you which is why I would never sign him.

But someone will and when they do, they absolutely should let him pitch.

• Upvote 1