MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I get that and acknowledge it’s a tough situation.  With that said, for these guys to make any real money, they have to stick.  Look at the guys that are theoretically better than them who have struggled.  Bringing a guy up who may not be a finished product and having them fail and bounce out of the league isn’t doing them any favors either.  Stowers and Ortiz are going to play this year at 26.  Average age in the league is 29.   Let’s not pretend these guys are older players getting robbed of opportunities.  Both guys also missed time due to injury, Stowers as recently as last year.  If they are repeating AAA next year at age 27 after running circles around the competition, then I think these concerns at much more valid.  As it stand right now, they are quality depth and are continuing to improve in the development system.  With all that said, I believe both players will get their fair shake at MLB this year, either with the Os or another team.  Elias doesn’t strike me as a guy that negligently lets his assets depreciate.  

Ortiz has an OPS over .900 in over 500 plate appearances at AAA. Offensively, he was 21% better than league average last year (Westburg was 31% better than league average). He was 54% better than league average in 2022 (Westburg was 29% better than league average). He is largely regarded as the best defensive infielder in the organization. Maybe he’s not running circles around the competition, but I’m not sure how much more he can improve in Norfolk in his age 25 season. His development has reached the point where it needs to continue in the majors. He might outperform Westburg if given the opportunity. If he isn’t playing in Baltimore I hope they trade him so he has the opportunity to do so.

Edited by Sydnor
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Ortiz has an OPS over .900 in over 500 plate appearances at AAA. Offensively, he was 21% better than league average last year (Westburg was 31% better than league average). He was 54% better than league average in 2022 ( Westburg was 29% better than league average). He largely regarded as the best defensive infielder in the organization. Maybe he’s not running circles around the competition, but I’m not sure how much more he can improve in Norfolk in his age 25 season. His development has reached the point where it needs to continue in the majors. He might outperform Westburg if given the opportunity. If he isn’t playing in Baltimore I hope they trade him so he has the opportunity to do so.

Agreed.   Ortiz should be in the majors.  I hope we trade Mateo and/or Urias so he can get a shot with us.   If not we should trade him.   Having him stuck in AAA most of the season would be foolish.  

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

Ortiz has an OPS over .900 in over 500 plate appearances at AAA. Offensively, he was 21% better than league average last year (Westburg was 31% better than league average). He was 54% better than league average in 2022 (Westburg was 29% better than league average). He is largely regarded as the best defensive infielder in the organization. Maybe he’s not running circles around the competition, but I’m not sure how much more he can improve in Norfolk in his age 25 season. His development has reached the point where it needs to continue in the majors. He might outperform Westburg if given the opportunity. If he isn’t playing in Baltimore I hope they trade him so he has the opportunity to do so.

He should be at SS with Henderson returning to 3B. Westburg can stay at 2B until Holiday arrives. One of Kjerstad and Mayo can be groomed for 1st. We’d have the best defensive infield in baseball. And likely offensively as well. 

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

We are lucky to have him, and I'll be surprised if he is not playing in the Majors this year for us or someone else.  He's either going to be traded, beat someone out in ST, or come up when there is an injury or poor performance.  If he's a legit dude, it'll be one of those first 2.  It's fantastic the org has these types of players and have a variety of paths to choose from moving forward and aren't pigeonholed into one path forward.  If it were me, I'd drop Mateo & Urias for whatever I could get and have Ortiz on the Orioles.  But I don't make the decisions.  I'm still surprised we haven't seen some of the veteran 'more expensive' guys moved.  I find the whole thing fascinating and can't wait to see how it all plays out. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Tidbits from the caravan gossip: beat writers / coaches / players various news comments. Big shout out to my brother and nephew for the help.

1. PA just breathes and blinks and the team will go up for sale when he dies. It’ll be a long, arduous process though.

2. Elias & Rosenbaum have all the input on lineups. Hyde manages the players.

3. Holliday will start at 2nd on opening day and Mayo makes the team bc he’s playing RF too.

4. Grod was very angry at FO by not making team. They had him change grip on slider and told him ST results didn’t matter bc he was going North.

5. They don’t like Kjerstad’s dad at all. Way too involved.

6. Good that Holmes is gone; and Flaherty hated by teammates;

7. they’ll definitely as some point get Cease;

8. they love Mateo for speed & D;

9. Ortiz, Norby, HK more likely to get traded;

10. Means will be a beast this yr;

11. players love new asst pitching coach;

12. will be difficult to extend Gunnar & Holliday bc of Boras; 

13. Jordan Westburg is the one they think most highly of (by far) amongst Westburg/Ortiz/Norby and he thinks Westburg is the Opening Day 3B. 

14.  DL Hall likely to be in the bullpen long term.

15. Urias most likely just to get cut (maybe traded for peanuts but not sure if anyone wants to trade even that).

16. Hyde is a players coach, potentially to a fault (as in, he thinks the players walk over him as evidenced by the paltry attendance amongst star players at the Caravans this year).

17.  Dean Kremer is most likely to fade out, particularly if Tyler Wells can rebound.

18. Cole Irvin was one of the nicest guys but was fully expecting to be non-tendered and was shocked the Orioles gave him $2M but still might not make the team.

Lots of good stuff in here. I say make a new thread of it so we can all discuss and such (and I’m sure some will pick every line apart;). I for one feel the vibes of these points are spot on, FWIW. Thanks for sharing. 

6 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Tidbits from the caravan gossip: beat writers / coaches / players various news comments. Big shout out to my brother and nephew for the help.

1. PA just breathes and blinks and the team will go up for sale when he dies. It’ll be a long, arduous process though.

2. Elias & Rosenbaum have all the input on lineups. Hyde manages the players.

3. Holliday will start at 2nd on opening day and Mayo makes the team bc he’s playing RF too.

4. Grod was very angry at FO by not making team. They had him change grip on slider and told him ST results didn’t matter bc he was going North.

5. They don’t like Kjerstad’s dad at all. Way too involved.

6. Good that Holmes is gone; and Flaherty hated by teammates;

7. they’ll definitely as some point get Cease;

8. they love Mateo for speed & D;

9. Ortiz, Norby, HK more likely to get traded;

10. Means will be a beast this yr;

11. players love new asst pitching coach;

12. will be difficult to extend Gunnar & Holliday bc of Boras; 

13. Jordan Westburg is the one they think most highly of (by far) amongst Westburg/Ortiz/Norby and he thinks Westburg is the Opening Day 3B. 

14.  DL Hall likely to be in the bullpen long term.

15. Urias most likely just to get cut (maybe traded for peanuts but not sure if anyone wants to trade even that).

16. Hyde is a players coach, potentially to a fault (as in, he thinks the players walk over him as evidenced by the paltry attendance amongst star players at the Caravans this year).

17.  Dean Kremer is most likely to fade out, particularly if Tyler Wells can rebound.

18. Cole Irvin was one of the nicest guys but was fully expecting to be non-tendered and was shocked the Orioles gave him $2M but still might not make the team.

Thanks.   Love it all but #8.  His speed doesn't matter if he can't get on base and if they won't just use him as a pinch runner.  Defense also suffers without regular playing time.   Thanks for the report.

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I just read that Boras is asking for 9 years / $270M for Snell. Yeah, good luck with that Scotty. 

I keep dreaming.  SSShhhh don't wake me up.  I mean, best pitcher available this off-season is still available, and we don't have to give up any picks.  It fulfills a need.  lol.  Just woke up.  Dang, was fun while it lasted.  

Heard on MLB network he wants to go home to Seatle, but they aren't going to give him the money. 

Apparently the NYY offered 6/150 and is his only contract offer.

Edited by emmett16

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I keep dreaming.  SSShhhh don't wake me up.  I mean, best pitcher available this off-season is still available, and we don't have to give up any picks.  It fulfills a need.  lol.  Just woke up.  Dang, was fun while it lasted.  

Heard on MLB network he wants to go home to Seatle, but they aren't going to give him the money. 

Apparently the NYY offered 6/150 and is his only contract offer.

There's no chance Seattle would be interested in Snell. They seem to be in salary shedding mode and their pitching is solid enough (even w/out Robbie Ray). 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

There's no chance Seattle would be interested in Snell. They seem to be in salary shedding mode and their pitching is solid enough (even w/out Robbie Ray). 

No doubt.  Thats exactly what the MLB network guys said.  Just thought it was curious that was his preference.  

55 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Angels sign Aaron Hicks per MLBTR.

With Hicks gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if we went to the waiver wire for a RH bat to pair with all of our LH prospects. Similar to what we did with Nevin. Not exciting, but our 40 man sits at 39, and with role players signing mlb deals across the league, the waiver market for bats is improving. 

Diego Castillo is interesting especially if we do move Norby/Ortiz. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With Hicks gone, I wouldn’t be surprised if we went to the waiver wire for a RH bat to pair with all of our LH prospects. Similar to what we did with Nevin. Not exciting, but our 40 man sits at 39, and with role players signing mlb deals across the league, the waiver market for bats is improving. 

Diego Castillo is interesting especially if we do move Norby/Ortiz. 

One thing this team doesn't need is another infield bat. Even if they trade Ortiz they still have plenty of guys. In a perfect world Henderson (3B), Holliday (SS), and Westburg (2B) would be their Opening Day lineup, but even if Holliday isn't ready they still have Urias or Mateo to keep the seat warm for a few months. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I just read that Boras is asking for 9 years / $270M for Snell. Yeah, good luck with that Scotty. 

That's over

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That's over $80 million more than the aggregate $187.7 million* Seattle are estimated to pay for a combined 25 years of team control over its current starting rotation of Luis Castillo, George Kirby, Logan Gilbert, Bryce Miller and Bryan Woo.  That works out as an average annual salary less than $7.5 million per starter. Attrition always looms but in today's pitching market, the Mariners are in an envious position.

* working off estimates at Baseball Trade Values.