MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

8 minutes ago, Since1984 said:

Is there a point in time where the draft pick compensation expires if Snell signs later into the season? Could not find anything with the new CB agreement in my searches…

I know that was the case under the last CBA, I would expect it to still be the case.

I think I found it.

(4) Compensation
(a) A Qualified Free Agent shall be subject to compensation only
if: (i) his former Club tenders him a Qualifying Offer pursuant to
paragraph (3) of this Section B; (ii) the Player declines the Qualify-
ing Offer or signs a contract with another Major League Club prior
to the expiration of the Acceptance Period; and (iii) the Player signs
a Major League contract with another Major League Club that is
confirmed by the Players Association and the LRD on or before the
day prior to the next succeeding Major League Rule 4 Draft (“Rule
4 Draft”).

So he needs to sit out until July.

https://www.mlbplayers.com/cba

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Gerritt Cole going for an MRI.

Gerrit Cole Undergoing MRI On Right Elbow - MLB Trade Rumors
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/03/yankees-rumors-gerrit-cole-mri-elbow-injury.html

Why did i get a vision on Scott Boras sitting with his phone in his hand with a big smile just waiting for it to ring.  

• Upvote 1

NFl free agency and most the guys will have agreed on deals before free agency even officially starts on Wednesday.  Meanwhile two of the top pitchers in MLB free agency might not sign by the start of the season or at best won’t be ready for start of the year.  

Ben Clemens with some details in his chat on the J.D. Davis nitty-gritty.    It sounds like a Club still has an off ramp to paying out if say after hearing they get Matt Chapman and don't need you anymore:

2:43
todd: JD Davis released and SFG doesn’t need to pay salary? How does that work, I thought it was agreed upon already.

Ben Clemens: So, his salary was not a contract, it was decided in arbitration

2:45
Ben Clemens: The way this works is kinda weird

Ben Clemens: and I’m going to do my best to explain it. Arb contracts don’t lock in until Opening Day. Until then, it’is something like 30 days of pay guaranteed (45 if it’s very close to the season)

Ben Clemens: so the new CBA got rid of that rule for players who don’t go to a hearing

2:46
Ben Clemens: but Davis went to a hearing, which means that his salary doesn’t guarantee until opening day
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Ben Clemens with some details in his chat on the J.D. Davis nitty-gritty.    It sounds like a Club still has an off ramp to paying out if say after hearing they get Matt Chapman and don't need you anymore:

todd: JD Davis released and SFG doesn’t need to pay salary? How does that work, I thought it was agreed upon already.

Ben Clemens: So, his salary was not a contract, it was decided in arbitration

Ben Clemens: The way this works is kinda weird

Ben Clemens: and I’m going to do my best to explain it. Arb contracts don’t lock in until Opening Day. Until then, it’is something like 30 days of pay guaranteed (45 if it’s very close to the season)

Ben Clemens: so the new CBA got rid of that rule for players who don’t go to a hearing

2:46
Ben Clemens: but Davis went to a hearing, which means that his salary doesn’t guarantee until opening day

Oh that’s interesting. I wish we hadn’t settled with everyone. Especially Mateo and OHearn. 

• Upvote 1