Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d love to understand that math.  According to Forbes’ report, the Angels’ entire revenue for 2022 was $371 mm and it’s total brand value was $334 mm.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/los-angeles-angels/?sh=41c9613a718a

I imagine it takes into account people traveling, staying hotels, eating at restaurants, and spending tourist $'s in the area.  That's how I understood 'broad economic impact'.  I.e. money generated by the city not just the franchise.  

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Not a done deal yet apparently. Obtain hasn’t decided between Toronto and LA. Praying he goes to LA, but at least the schedule is more balanced now. I’d hate to have to face Ohtani in 19 games. 

All I know is, it takes more than 1-2 players to make a good team.  The Angels proved that beyond a reasonable doubt.  If the Jays land Ohtani, we’ll see if they cut back elsewhere or just increase the payroll.   But I’m not going to lose sleep over it.  

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

MLB tweeted he's on a plane, then Bob Nightingale tweeted he's not on a plane and is at home in California.

I forgot just how dumb the off-season can be.

And the entire time he was on or was not on the plane, poor HuskerFan was being assaulted for posting an innocent comment about our 13th ranked prospect.  Can't wait for spring training.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I imagine it takes into account people traveling, staying hotels, eating at restaurants, and spending tourist $'s in the area.  That's how I understood 'broad economic impact'.  I.e. money generated by the city not just the franchise.  

I misread the earlier statement.   I thought it was just talking about the Angels.  Still not sure I buy it.  

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All I know is, it takes more than 1-2 players to make a good team.  The Angels proved that beyond a reasonable doubt.  If the Jays land Ohtani, we’ll see if they cut back elsewhere or just increase the payroll.   But I’m not going to lose sleep over it.  

The Jays have more than 1 or 2 good players. The Angels are probably tied for the most incompetent organization with the White Sox. 

Is he really going to toronto?

It was bad enough that the AL East had the Yankees and Red Sox.  If the Blue Jays actually throw their weight around it's really a god awful division to be in.  Just the metro area has more or less the same sized media market as Dallas/Texas, and they only have 1 team to support.  On top of that they have exclusive casting rights in the entire country.  So it's not surprising that they would have the resources to sign him.  But it certainly is frustrating as a small market club in that division.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

The AL East is absolutely loaded. This could still be an Ohtani smokescreen that he's orchestrated for whatever reason. 

The Dodgers might be unbeatable with him in a series, so might as well go to the Jays.

No team is “unbeatable”.