Elias talks Stowers

Sports Guy

I like Stowers. Would be very nice to see him part of the youth movement and contribute to offense and defense. Just get that feeling he might find himself as a sweetener in a trade where his absence in this org is more palatable than others and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he emerges in 2025 (on another team) as a quality player. Could be though that this timing here doesn't quite match up with what we need at the major league level.

3 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

Using Tony’s language, he seems like his ceiling is second division starter, which certainly has value. Wonder what other teams see as his value.

Not quite. The last time Stowers was in Tony's top prospect list was in 2021. There, Tony said his ceiling was a starting outfielder and occasional all star. I'd wager Tony still believes in the power and OBP. Ok enough in a corner OF position. A lot of k's. So maybe, at this point, the ceiling is second division starter. Still, that power is legit and kind of built for Camden Yards.

https://orioleshangout.com/2021/11/02/7-kyle-stowers/

This annoys me because he said all this last week at the meetings and I already watched the video of him say all this from the MASN account lol. Reality of having to post a daily blog I guess. 

There's no realistic room for Stowers unless they trade an outfielder or two. 

Edited by interloper

Some interesting info here...

- I didn't know that Stowers got beaned in the face last year.  On top of the shoulder injury.

- Sounds like other teams were just dismissing Stowers like many here do.  "Lost season"

- Elias isn't dismissing him.  "Quietly had a good year"

- "Stowers played in 68 games with Triple-A Norfolk, injuries robbing him of more at- bats, and had nine doubles, a triple, 17 home runs, 49 RBIs, 40 walks, a .364 on-base percentage and a .511 slugging percentage."

It sounds like teams they we have to just give guys away, but we can have depth.  Nothing is forcing our hand.  It's not some travesty if Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Kjerstad, and Stowers begin the year in AAA.  I call that achieving the goal of having a farm system that you can dip into for depth as needed.  That's how you consistently compete for the playoffs/division over 162 games.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

This article kind of felt like Roch was instructed to put out a Stowers hype piece because they want to trade him.  I don't know if that is a real thing or if it would work but thats what I felt like I was reading. 

That is exactly what I thought when I read the article.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’d also be a good fallback option for us if we trade other OFers and “have to” use him.

Absolutely.   I noticed that ZiPS was pretty high on Stowers - .729 OPS median projection, higher than Kjerstad’s .713 or Cowser’s .707.

• Upvote 1