Elias talks Stowers

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

C - Basallo, 1B - Mayo , 2B - Norby, SS - Holliday, 3B - Ortiz, LF - Stowers, CF - Cowser, RF - Kjerstad

Just reveling in our depth and that we could replace all the position players from a 101 win team in 2023 to field this team in 2025. 

I think Gunnar will still be around in 2025.

He certainly isn't a top prospect, but he's been major league ready for a while and deserves a chance to see what he can do at the major league level.  However, I don't see him getting a chance with the O's unless we have a number of trades and/or significant injuries to outfielders.  I wouldn't blame him if he and his agent are requesting a trade this offseason.  He needs his shot before he gets any older and gets labeled a 4A player.

Elias has to get moving on some guys.  Hays, Santander and Mullins are not going to be lifelong Orioles and I'd hate to lose them for nothing.  Stowers, Norby and Ortiz may have their whole careers ahead of them but their clocks are ticking very loudly.  All this talent is a great problem to have but he really needs to make a few trades.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some interesting info here...

- I didn't know that Stowers got beaned in the face last year.  On top of the shoulder injury.

- Sounds like other teams were just dismissing Stowers like many here do.  "Lost season"

- Elias isn't dismissing him.  "Quietly had a good year"

- "Stowers played in 68 games with Triple-A Norfolk, injuries robbing him of more at- bats, and had nine doubles, a triple, 17 home runs, 49 RBIs, 40 walks, a .364 on-base percentage and a .511 slugging percentage."

It sounds like teams they we have to just give guys away, but we can have depth.  Nothing is forcing our hand.  It's not some travesty if Cowser, Norby, Ortiz, Kjerstad, and Stowers begin the year in AAA.  I call that achieving the goal of having a farm system that you can dip into for depth as needed.  That's how you consistently compete for the playoffs/division over 162 games.  

Trading prospects at peak value is a way Tampa stays competitive year after year.  Would hate Elias to make the mistakes of past O's GMs when they traded guys only after they lost most of their value. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Elias has to get moving on some guys.  Hays, Santander and Mullins are not going to be lifelong Orioles and I'd hate to lose them for nothing.  Stowers, Norby and Ortiz may have their whole careers ahead of them but their clocks are ticking very loudly.  All this talent is a great problem to have but he really needs to make a few trades.

Their service clocks aren't ticking though.  That's what matters the most.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Is there any limit to how long Stowers can be kept in the organization assuming he is never called up again? Or can Elias just continue stockpiling guys for eternity as long as there is playing time available for them in AAA? 

Once they run out of options other teams get a chance at them.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is there any limit to how long Stowers can be kept in the organization assuming he is never called up again? Or can Elias just continue stockpiling guys for eternity as long as there is playing time available for them in AAA? 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, just to get further detailed... so since Stowers is on the 40-man roster, an option has to be used at the end of spring training if the team isn't placing him on the 26-man roster. Stowers does have options left. 

That's why guys like McKenna, we're kind of wondering what they end up doing. A lot of guys are at the "use em or lose em" phase of their career. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Right, just to get further detailed... so since Stowers is on the 40-man roster, an option has to be used at the end of spring training if the team isn't placing him on the 26-man roster. Stowers does have options left. 

That's why guys like McKenna, we're kind of wondering what they end up doing. A lot of guys are at the "use em or lose em" phase of their career. 

OK, and if he was never added to the 40 man the Rule 5 would get him. It does seem like Elias might play this game for a long time with some guys. 

• Upvote 1

I feel it's a "travesty" for any Mil player stuck in an organization and can't get a chance because of its depth. The clock is always ticking for these young men. Lack of service time, arbitration eligibility can cost a young player millions, even though he is not a star. Deal them, give them a chance.

• Upvote 2