Two questions regarding the Opening Day starting infield alignment

Greg Pappas

1) What is your best guess for what the Opening Day infield alignment will be?
2) If you would do it differently than the answer to 1, how would you set it up?

You're welcome to put Holliday, Ortiz, Mayo and any other Orioles player where you like, if you feel they'll start OD. 

I'll start:

1) Best guess
CA: Rutschman 
1B: Mountcastle/O'Hearn
2B: Ortiz
SS: Henderson 
3B: Westburg

2) My preference
CA: Rutschman 
1B: Mountcastle/O'Hearn... Mayo waiting in the wings (I'm ready for a change off of Mountcastle, as his inconsistencies are maddening lol)
2B: Westburg... Holliday waiting in the wings
SS: Ortiz 
3B: Henderson

Unless they really show out this spring, I'd have Holliday (2B) and Mayo (1B/3B) starting the season in AAA, but recalled as soon as they are deemed ready, both offensively and defensively. Mayo, hopefully will play 1B even more at AAA, as I hope he becomes our regular 1B as soon as this season.  If, however, he improves at 3B, he could split time between the two if Hyde prefers that.  His bat, however, may be too good to leave in AAA if we have a need.  DH would be okay in the short term, though not ideal.

Anyway, what are your answers?

Edited by Greg Pappas

I’m afraid that both Urias and Mateo will likely be a big part of that equation. My guess is 2B Urias, SS Henderson, 3B Westburg with Mateo as utility/PR. I don’t think it’s reasonable to think any other prospect has a chance unless there are trades. Holliday or Mayo does not exist on a roster that also includes Urias/Mateo.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Obviously who is still on the team matters…also, how good does Mayo look at first defensively?

I also wouldn’t put it as a lock that Henderson is at SS.

I think that more than anything (except maybe Mountcastle's health) will determine if/when Mayo makes this 26-man roster. 

Edited by interloper

Can we wait until the off-season is over? Based on the roster today I would guess Gunnar SS, Westburg 2B, Urias 3B, O'Hearn /Mountcastle platoon. I think the actual alignment will be different but much depends on whether anyone is traded. The off-season is far from over so kind of pointless to speculate.

My best guess is:

1b: Mountcastle/O'Hearn

2b: Westburg

SS: Henderson

3b: Mayo

UIF: Mateo

This is assuming that Ortiz is traded and they likely move on from Urias somehow too.

I can't say I'd do it differently because I think an Ortiz trade might be necessary. However, ignoring the return in a trade, I'm want Ortiz to replace Mateo in this picture. He and Westburg can fight it out for 2B while Holliday grows in AAA.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Can we wait until the off-season is over? Based on the roster today I would guess Gunnar SS, Westburg 2B, Urias 3B, O'Hearn /Mountcastle platoon. I think the actual alignment will be different but much depends on whether anyone is traded. The off-season is far from over so kind of pointless to speculate.

My apologies.

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

My apologies.

Apologize for what? Starting a thread that requires speculation/opinion? We are on the O. H. right?

As of 12/20, Gunner third, Ortiz short, Westburg second, Monty first. I am assuming/speculating we face a left hander. If right-hander, Gunner short, Westburg third, Ortiz second, and O'Hearn first. I would like however, Mayo to be the real deal at either third or first and another left-handed infield bat to compete with Mateo and Urias for the utility role and playing time against right-handed pitchers. (No - I am NOT advocating Frazier!!!!!!) All subject to change depending on if/when Elias does something trade wise. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Apologize for what? Starting a thread that requires speculation/opinion? We are on the O. H. right?

As of 12/20, Gunner third, Ortiz short, Westburg second, Monty first. I am assuming/speculating we face a left hander. If right-hander, Gunner short, Westburg third, Ortiz second, and O'Hearn first. I would like however, Mayo to be the real deal at either third or first and another left-handed infield bat to compete with Mateo and Urias for the utility role and playing time against right-handed pitchers. (No - I am NOT advocating Frazier!!!!!!) All subject to change depending on if/when Elias does something trade wise. 

Exactly, thank you.  I get tired of saying what you just said to those complaining about speculation. It's tiresome and ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

If I had the exact players @Greg Pappasdoes, I’d have Westburg at 2B, Ortiz at SS, Gunnar at 3B.

Something I've never understood is that by all accounts Ortiz is the best defensive SS of the group, and likely the worst hitter.

So why on Earth would anyone be penciling in Ortiz at 2b or 3b?  That makes no sense.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:20 PM, Aristotelian said:

Feel free to ignore the thread dude.