RIP: Ryan Minor

Tony-OH

Not that I know the circumstances of Minor not catching his colon cancer, but most colon cancers can be caught with vigilance.  If you have anything that seems like a weird change in your bowel movements, frequent diarrhea or constipation, ongoing stomach discomfort, unexplained weight loss, odd weakness or tiredness, or especially blood in your stool--get it checked out.  You know your body.  You know how it normally works.  Don't assume anything.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Not that I know the circumstances of Minor not catching his colon cancer, but most colon cancers can be caught with vigilance.  If you have anything that seems like a weird change in your bowel movements, frequent diarrhea or constipation, ongoing stomach discomfort, unexplained weight loss, odd weakness or tiredness, or especially blood in your stool--get it checked out.  You know your body.  You know how it normally works.  Don't assume anything.  

All of the above, plus I'd strongly advise a regular (every two or three years) colonoscopy when you hit the mid '40s. My youngest brother passed from colon cancer in July at age 53. Two summers ago he saw a doctor about what appeared to be a slight stomach ache. They sent him for some scans and next day he got the call it was stage four colon cancer. He'd never had a colonoscopy in his life, wasn't even on his radar. Having the procedure is no big deal, and it just might save you and your family from the hell that Ryan Minor and his family is going through now. 

• Upvote 2

I know on here Ryan Minor is best known for being the guy who replaced Cal in the starting lineup to end the streak, but I remember him better for his college basketball career at Oklahoma.

Minor was an accomplished basketball player winning the Big 8 Player of the Year award in 1995. Prayers to Ryan and his family he's way too young for this.

FPwYcLRUYAkiqhA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

All of the above, plus I'd strongly advise a regular (every two or three years) colonoscopy when you hit the mid '40s. My youngest brother passed from colon cancer in July at age 53. Two summers ago he saw a doctor about what appeared to be a slight stomach ache. They sent him for some scans and next day he got the call it was stage four colon cancer. He'd never had a colonoscopy in his life, wasn't even on his radar. Having the procedure is no big deal, and it just might save you and your family from the hell that Ryan Minor and his family is going through now. 

I do not think doctors recommend a colonoscopy every 2-3 years unless they perform one and find polyps.  If there are no polyps, it’s a five year gap before the next one.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do not think doctors recommend a colonoscopy every 2-3 years unless they perform one and find polyps.  If there are no polyps, it’s a five year gap before the next one.

Depends on your age.  I had one this year at 49 and I'm good for 7-10 years, which is the standard answer all of my friends are getting.

15 hours ago, baltfan said:

"most colon cancers can be caught with vigilance"

If you're over 50 and have good insurance, then maybe. I don't think insurance covers colonoscopy procedures for preventative purposes until you're 50.....although I think that age may be trending down to 45.

I just had a 2cm polyp removed....my doctor said it absolutely would have become cancerous at some point. I'm 43. The only reason I was even able to have the colonoscopy done was because I embellished some symptoms a bit and I had a bad bout of colitis when I was younger, so I had some "history". 

I had a friend die last year from it, she was 46. I know another guy who died recently in his mid-40s from it....and I know another guy who has it now who is only about 41ish.

Colon cancer is a mfer. By the time you have symptoms and go to the doctor, it's probably too late.

Edited by CP0861

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is correct.

My advice, if you are 45 or over - get a colonoscopy done.  If you have to, tell your doctor you've been bleeding.

Edited by CP0861
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ripken said:

Depends on your age.  I had one this year at 49 and I'm good for 7-10 years, which is the standard answer all of my friends are getting.

Not necessarily age-I just had one done last month, tiny non cancerous polyp and at age 62 I was given 10 years until another colonoscopy.  

• Upvote 1

2023 Screening Recommendations:

Recent screening guidelines recommend anyone with an average risk of developing colorectal cancer should be screened starting at age 45.

Screening guidelines by age are:

45-75 — colonoscopy every 10 years for average-risk patients

76-85 — selective testing based on individual factors, such as overall health, life expectancy, and previous screening history

85 and up — not recommended

Your doctor may recommend screening younger than 45 if you have increased risk factors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10182334/