This offseason will tell us a lot about Elias

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This ^^^^^ in spades. Well said. 

All the hand wringing in the world will not win you a championship. Cease may not be the right move. Valdez might not be available. I get all of that. But fortune favors the brave. Not doing something that you clearly need to do, make the team better, is an error of omission. 

How did fortune work out when we traded 3 promising young players Harnisch, Shilling and Finley for Glenn Davis? LOL

There is a risk reward for every trade but since we have an owner that will not spend money we can't just give up players that could be a large part of our future for a pitcher (Cease), that is coming off a sub par season and his pure stuff was down across the board.  Because of Angelo's the front office needs to be more cautious and I am happy that they are. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I think it makes more sense for the White Sox to wait for the deadline. They can see if Cease is a Cy Young again. If so, they get the deal they've wanted and more. If not, well that's the risk you take. 

The Orioles won't wait until the deadline. They will grab somebody. And then also hope to add at the deadline as well. 

Well, I don’t you can say what does and doesn’t make sense for the WS without knowing what’s being offered and what they will truly be willing to accept.

Their demands remain high and for good reason…where they are 3 weeks from now, if a deal isn’t done, remains to be seen.

We need Snell and Montgomery to sign and it would be nice if they went to Boston, NY or SF.  Either of them signing with a team like the Angels would suck for us.

28 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have no inside knowledge but Cease has been on the market for a while and no Team has given up what the CWS want. That tells me about what they are asking for. Part of me want them to be stuck with him for the next 2 years.

Yea I think it’s safe to say that they  are asking far more than the market wants to pay. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I think it’s safe to say that they  are asking far more than the market wants to pay. 

That's the only reason I said it might make sense for them to just wait until the deadline. Clearly they are asking a lot. They have a better chance of getting that at the deadline if he returns to form. But it's risky to do that of course. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's the only reason I said it might make sense for them to just wait until the deadline. Clearly they are asking a lot. They have a better chance of getting that at the deadline if he returns to form. But it's risky to do that of course. 

We're not going to like the cost if we trade for what the CWS want right now.  That's probably Mayo/Basallo, Ortiz, and Povich, or the other option of Westburg, Kjerstad/Cowser, +.

I'd rather root for us to continue to play division FA defense.  Somehow dodge Montgomery and Snell from our division, and then re-evaluate at the trade deadline.  

I fear it will tell us more about JA, or at least confirm what we already know. The fact that our opening day payroll will be significantly less than the Royals, and less than half of our 2017 OD payroll (inflation adjusted) despite having just won 101 games, and entering our best window of opportunity in decades is insane.

Edited by ChicagoTerp

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We're not going to like the cost if we trade for what the CWS want right now.  That's probably Mayo/Basallo, Ortiz, and Povich, or the other option of Westburg, Kjerstad/Cowser, +.

I'd rather root for us to continue to play division FA defense.  Somehow dodge Montgomery and Snell from our division, and then re-evaluate at the trade deadline.  

NYY + BOS signing Snell/Montgomery likely reduces demand for Cease, perhaps significantly. Can't sit back and not expect the AL East to make investments.

8 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

NYY + BOS signing Snell/Montgomery likely reduces demand for Cease, perhaps significantly. Can't sit back and not expect the AL East to make investments.

Of course, but this is a whole different offseason if Ohtani ended up in Toronto, and Yamamota went to the NYY.  So far our AL East rivals have only added Soto, Giolito, Pepiot, and Grissom.  While losing Glasnow, Margot, Montas, Sale, Severino, and the slew of pitching the Yanks traded for Soto.  The Dodgers have overtaken what both the Yankees and Red Sox would have usually done in an offseason.  

All things considered... we've gotten pretty lucky this offseason so far.  

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They still have some time though. They are most likely going to hold out until they think one of the teams who gave them the best offer goes to plan B or until they close in on spring training. 

• Upvote 1

Like I've always said, I'm okay / like the upside in going into the season with Hall, McDermott, and Wells battling it out for the 5th spot in the rotation and whatever spot should open up because of injury.

I'd like to trade from the group of Hays / Santander / Mountcastle / O'Hearn / Ortiz / Westburg / Cowser? Kjerstad? for upgrades in the lineup and a big time bullpen arm. 

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They still have some time though. They are most likely going to hold out until they think one of the teams who gave them the best offer goes to plan B or until they close in on spring training. 

Well if they are hoping for Elias to blink, they can forget it. For better or worse, Mikey ain't budging and he has shown he will go to a plan B or C if necessary (see also: Flaherty). 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well if they are hoping for Elias to blink, they can forget it. For better or worse, Mikey ain't budging and he has shown he will go to a plan B or C if necessary (see also: Flaherty). 

Of course B or C didn't exactly work out. (see also: Flaherty). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

This ^^^^^ in spades. Well said. 

All the hand wringing in the world will not win you a championship. Cease may not be the right move. Valdez might not be available. I get all of that. But fortune favors the brave. Not doing something that you clearly need to do, make the team better, is an error of omission. 

How did this work out for the Brave?

Oops that a meme version but the point still stands and I'm leaving it up.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Confused 1