How do you feel about Marcus Stroman?

Jim'sKid26

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but if you combine Stroman’s lack of innings over the past year, and Kremer’s second half splits, does Kremer basically equal Stroman next year, while also giving you more innings? 

Wild card is how you view Stroman the competitor, and what slotting him into your rotation come playoff time means.  For a team in our situation, that is something that the front office is going to consider.  With how carefully teams are managing IPs, I can easily see a six man rotation being used here to minimize workload for Grayson and Bradish being so young, and Means coming back from major surgery. 

6 man rotation is a bad idea.  When combined with Hyde's bullpen management (4,5 or more relievers a game throwing 1 inning, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

It really depends on clubhouse factors. I trust Elias and company to do the appropriate due diligence in that regard. I don't want him throwing off the clubhouse mojo...but if the due diligence results in confidence that won't happen, I'm okay with him as a pitching addition. 

He's a career 116 ERA+ pitcher which is better than a #4 type to me. That's a solid 2-3. Health is the other factor. He had a 2.88 ERA through his first 20 games last year, but injuries impacted him down the stretch as he missed a month and a half and was bad in the month and a half he pitched from July 15 onward. 

There are certainly areas of concern for Stroman, but as a pitcher, he would be the best pitching acquisition (other than trades for guys still in the minors--see Bradish) that we have made in quite some time. 

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I do like the idea of giving Hall the ball. Let's see if he can be a starter in the Big Leagues. Give him a real opportunity like they did Grayson. Maybe Hall can have a career similar to Blake Snell.

With Bautista out and so many question marks around the bullpen, I think it makes sense to keep Hall in pen for now and consider him as a potential replacement for Means in the rotation come 2025. I don’t think we’re all mentally prepared for how uninspiring the 2024 bullpen is put together. If Hall and Wells can do well and this isn’t the year Kimbrel falls off a cliff we might do okay. Cano is our only other high ceiling guy and he is far from a sure thing. 

As far as Stroman, there’s a lot worse you can do but there’s also a lot better. I think Elias is more of the type to look for hidden value rather than overpay for wishful thinking. I expect someone like Stroman is not in his plan A or plan B but maybe plan C? Probably more likely plan D.

• Upvote 1