Which Pitcher Are You Most Willing To Give Up In A Trade

RZNJ

Which Pitcher Are You Most Willing To Give Up In A Trade.   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Which Pitcher Are You Most Willing To Give Up In A Trade (Can choose more than one)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/19/24 at 03:50

I went McD or Johnson.  Both are MLB arms at some point.  Probably the highest floor with these two.

Povich and de Leon are my two favorites at the moment.  And I’m interested in what we can do with Baumeister.

Seth Johnson does next to nothing to move the needle on any trade right now. He would be the last piece of a trade..a throw in type guy.  Would  I trade him?  Sure. I just don’t think he has any value for it to matter.

Baumeister is an interesting guy. Lots of upside But we haven’t seen him throw a pitch as a professional. That is both good and bad. If you trade him, he may be nothing but without having seen him, trading him is a risk. Still would do it but I would rather see him first.

DeLeon has the highest ceiling and is a top 5 talent in our system based purely on ceiling. I’m not eager to move him although he’s obviously far away. 

McDermott is a no for me. Not that he is untouchable but he doesn’t carry enough value to be more than a second or even third piece in any deal and to me, he’s not worth giving up for that. If I were to make a prediction right now about the 2025 rotation, he would be in it.

Povich is the answer for me. For one, like McDermott, I think he is only the second or third piece in a trade. He actually may have a higher ceiling than McDermott and he has some good peripheral stats, plus the added idea that he is a lefty. I just prefer McDermott and while he also has some command and control issues, I think they are trending in the right direction better than Povich is.

If we don’t do a Cease trade then I’m not willing to give up any of our pitching prospects until the deadline. 

There are pros and cons of trading one of our lefties that are out of options to start the season. Coloumbe, Perez, and Irvin. Again, this would just be to have an optionable arm in the pen, but these three are all worth more to us then what they would bring back in a trade. 

McDermott and Povich are not untouchable but they are guys the Orioles specifically targeted in trades and who have made significant strides in the Orioles’ organization. Elias has spoken in the past about how they like being able to target pitchers once they have some time in pro ball and they can get a better feel for the type of pitcher they will be. I’m guessing Elias is quite attached to both of them, and there’s also the simple fact that we really need the optionable AAA prospect depth and for somebody to step up and earn a spot in the rotation when Means leaves as a FA after this year. I could definitely see a scenario where the Orioles consider them more valuable to the Orioles than how they’ll be viewed outside the organization in a trade.

Johnson I think was acquired because it was a great buy low opportunity with his injury and the Rays needing 40-man space. He was a very solid prospect before the TJS. But if you’re the Orioles you take that deal every time even if there’s nothing specific about Johnson that you like. 

With an off season to get well and strong I think Johnson may turn some heads in ST.  Before TJ he had an upper 90s fastball, an above average slider and two developing off speed pitches.   He will not be ready in 2024 but  his stuff could put him in the rotation in 2025.  I don't see the O's trading the former 1st rounder by Tampa.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’d give up Seth Johnson.  He’s 25 years old, has pitched one game above A+, will  be using the second of his three options this year, and is the lowest-ranked pitcher of the five on Tony’s list.  Only Povich is older, by a couple of weeks, but Povich is in AAA and has all three options remaining.  

This is the correct answer. The other 4 aren’t coming off TJ surgery. 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

This is the correct answer. The other 4 aren’t coming off TJ surgery. 

He pitched at the end of last year and the stuff looked pretty close to his reported pre TJ stuff.    I don’t think it’s a factor.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He pitched at the end of last year and the stuff looked pretty close to his reported pre TJ stuff.    I don’t think it’s a factor.

Saying it isn’t a factor is very odd. He missed over a year of action. Of course it’s a factor when discussing which of the 5 to trade. He’s 25, coming off TJ, and barely pitched in the upper minors. 

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Saying it isn’t a factor is very odd. He missed over a year of action. Of course it’s a factor when discussing which of the 5 to trade. He’s 25, coming off TJ, and barely pitched in the upper minors. 

I also said Johnson, but it’s less about the TJ surgery itself and more about his age and how the surgery stunted his development. He’s already eating through his options and he’s barely made it to AA. That’s the bigger piece for me, personally. The surgery itself doesn’t worry me like it used to with pitchers. It feels like with the technology now, pitchers recover from the surgery just fine. 

26 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The surgery itself isn’t a factor.  His age?  Big deal.  Building up innings is a factor.  Proving himself at AA and AAA is a factor.  Does he have the stuff to be a ML starter or will he be a reliever is a factor.

He throws 96+ with a good slider.   I can understand picking him.  Personally, I’d pick Baumeister.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

You can strike “coming off TJ” and come to the same conclusion.  

I like Johnson.  The fact that he’s coming off TJ doesn’t faze me at all.  But he’s behind schedule compared to the other 4 and the option situation really limits our flexibility.   

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Johnson will probably start in AA this year and end the year in the big leagues if he looks like a dude. He's my pick for a late season bullpen boost. 

I agree I know little about Seth other than the write ups but there is a reason ME gave him a 40 spot when he was recovering.

Seth Johnson. He’s already 25 and hasn’t thrown that many innings.  He’s already had injury problems and in the short stint he came back last year the stuff wasn’t the same (I know SSS).  I think of all the guys listed he’s most likely to be in the bullpen.  I really like DeLeon, Povich & McD.  Baumeister intrigues me and obviously the FO saw something they liked so it’s Johnson for me.  Pretty wild all the sudden we have some good arms to discuss.  Next year should tell us a lot about how our pitching looks long term.