1/28 poll: will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts?

Frobby

Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Will the O’s acquire another starter who makes 20+ starts for us in 2024?

• Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than Kremer
    • Yes, the O’s will trade for someone better than our 5th starter options
    • Yes, the O’s will sign a free agent better than our fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will trade for a pitcher who won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • Yes, they will sign a free agent starter but he won’t be better than our existing fifth starter options
    • No, they won’t acquire a starter who makes 20+ starts

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/29/24 at 17:22

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

lol what? With this logic no one is better than John Means because they’re all one pitch away from TJ. 

LOL too because i never said John Means was Better than everybody else. Thats  what you said. By you're logic every healthy pitcher is better than Jacob Degrom because they can pitch and he cant. Make it easy for you (in a one year vacuum), and you're a MLB GM. Who are you taking Means at 3.9 Mil or Kremer At MLB minimum. If youre taking Kremer you're probably alone, Means is our #3.   

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a bit of a toss up, but Kremer threw 15+ more innings last year than Means ever has, and is likely to throw a lot more innings than Means in 2024.  Means may have the lower ERA — we’ll see — but innings also factor in to who’s considered the no. 3.  

Look no disrespect, because You're one of more rational posters here and one the best, but go back to last year, right before our series with Texas started and we were told that Means would not be available. Do you remember how distraught this Board was? All things being equal Means is our #3.

3 hours ago, Safelykept said:

LOL too because i never said John Means was Better than everybody else. Thats  what you said. By you're logic every healthy pitcher is better than Jacob Degrom because they can pitch and he cant. Make it easy for you (in a one year vacuum), and you're a MLB GM. Who are you taking Means at 3.9 Mil or Kremer At MLB minimum. If youre taking Kremer you're probably alone, Means is our #3.   

I have no idea what we’re talking about anymore. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If Means gets injured I'd rather just pick up someone at the deadline. Signing a guy to maybe be our number five does not seem like aa good use of resources.

I have Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer and Wells in the first 5 spots.   But there are still 20-25 starts to fill.   Irvin and McDermott are available to fill those starts but that feels  a little thin to me.   I think Elias needs another pitcher that can both start and relieve to insure the team does well  throughout the season.  Someone with an ERA better than Gibson and Flaherty  would be an upgrade from last season.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I have Bradish, GRod, Means, Kremer and Wells in the first 5 spots.   But there are still 20-25 starts to fill.   Irvin and McDermott are available to fill those starts but that feels  a little thin to me.   I think Elias needs another pitcher that can both start and relieve to insure the team does well  throughout the season.  Someone with an ERA better than Gibson and Flaherty  would be an upgrade from last season.

So Lorenzen would pitch out of the bullpen? I don't think we are paying starter money for a reliever. Also doubt that Lorenzen signs anywhere that doesn't have a rotation spot. Why not wait til the deadline and trade for someone good? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

So Lorenzen would pitch out of the bullpen? I don't think we are paying starter money for a reliever. Also doubt that Lorenzen signs anywhere that doesn't have a rotation spot. Why not wait til the deadline and trade for someone good? 

lol…how about you just trade for someone good now?  Why wait?  So you can pay more than you have to now?  I mean, clearly Elias is going to want to pay a larger price.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree with this.  It just does not feel like Lorenzen is a match with O's.   He wants to start and he is not has good as Wells.     I would be in favor of showcasing  Norby, Urias and Stowers during ST to get pitching in return.   Elias traded Hernaiz for Irvin.  He should be able to fill a starter for some of those prospects.

I am not in favor of trading 6 years of  talented prospects that fit into the O's future.   Right now I don't expect Holliday or Mayo  and maybe not Kjerstad because of his defense to begin the season with the O's.

30 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yes they will sign a poor man’s Gibson and force him into starts. 

I agree... my guess is they will sign a Gibson type on a one year contract, and give him starts at the beginning of the season.  However, I do believe they won't hesitate to take him out of the rotation if he's failing....which they did with Irvin last year.

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree... my guess is they will sign a Gibson type on a one year contract, and give him starts at the beginning of the season.  However, I do believe they won't hesitate to take him out of the rotation if he's failing....which they did with Irvin last year.

They aren’t going to pull the plug on a 10M investment after 3 bad starts like they did with Irvin.

If there was an option “They will sign a free agent starting pitcher but he won’t be better than our current 5th starter options, BUT he will start 20+ games anyway”…that would be my pick. 

I think option A is trade, which won’t happen, and option B is Lorenzen. And I don’t think he’s better than Hall/Wells and probably not even better than Irvin, but if they sign him he’ll start the year in the rotation. 

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They aren’t going to pull the plug on a 10M investment after 3 bad starts like they did with Irvin.

No, not after three starts.  However, they did trade for Irvin so they still expended resources to acquire him and they were very quick to demote him.  My guess is they would move an underperforming starter to the bullpen after about 6-7 poor starts if they had invested 10+ million.