Puck News: Orioles sold to Rubenstein

Orioles Jim

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Does anyone else feel like this news hasn’t really hit them yet?  I don’t feel it’s sunk in.

I think when it's "officially" official, I'll feel like it's hit me.   I don't think people realize what this means for the organization.    I hope that they follow that Astros' mold and continue to be good at development,  making key acquisitions, and keeping a fairly stable management team in place.   Not sure how long Elias is under contract, but I think that's one of the first things I'd take care of immediately.   He's young and he's a keeper.

25 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Isn't Bloomberg a Yankees fan? I am wondering how a couple of billionaires from New York being part of the ownership group is going to affect the synergy of operations for the franchise, knowing they had more interest in the team's division rival in the past.

It's an investment.  I can buy Apple stock and use a Pixel phone.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Isn't Bloomberg a Yankees fan? I am wondering how a couple of billionaires from New York being part of the ownership group is going to affect the synergy of operations for the franchise, knowing they had more interest in the team's division rival in the past.

I agree and wonder why Bloomsberg is part of the ownership group unless Rubenstein really needed the financial help to get to 40%. 

I have no doubt their good friends and maybe it could be a friendly gesture and nothing more. 

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I agree and wonder why Bloomsberg is part of the ownership group unless Rubenstein really needed the financial help to get to 40%. 

I have no doubt their good friends and maybe it could be a friendly gesture and nothing more. 

The fact Bloomberg is in the group makes me 100% this is a done deal.  MLB will not buck a group that Ripken and Bloomberg are in.  The sheer peer group that Bloomberg is in is enough for me to know it is going through.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I do not think it would reasonable to expect Cal Ripken to have any real working capacity in the front office. 

His participation is much more likely to be a sign of roots here in Baltimore. And his position is likely to be more of a figurehead. But of course this remains to be seen. 

I don’t think just being a minority owner is his ambition in returning to the Orioles. I’d bet he ends up doing something baseball related. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Does anyone else feel like this news hasn’t really hit them yet?  I don’t feel it’s sunk in.

The Orioles fan in me is too wary to celebrate until it's made official by MLB. That, and a larger statement/press conference by Rubenstein, and some hard confirmation that he's keeping the baseball ops in place. 

That's a lot of stuff haha. But I don't think I can fully relax into it until I see all of that. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The tower for the children center and hospital at Johns Hopkins is named for his mother .A few buildings at the Johns Hopkins campus have the Bloomberg name. The ones I don't understand yet are the three investors from the Ares group.

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Absolutely…..As senior members of the site we’ve dealt with a lot of pain and frustration with the Angelos group. We’ve wished this would happen for years. I wanted to take a wait and see when the rumors started a few months ago. With all of the names involved I’ve come to the realization that it’s go8ng to happen. I’m anticipating a move that proves things have changed and hoping it comes before the season.

I'm curious if Rubenstein will want to try and make a statement move to get the goodwill behind him early on, or if that's not really how he's approaching things. Certainly Elias doesn't feel like a "statement for the sake of it" guy. 

Although it wouldn't take much to make a statement around here.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

The Orioles fan in me is too wary to celebrate until it's made official by MLB. That, and a larger statement/press conference by Rubenstein, and some hard confirmation that he's keeping the baseball ops in place. 

That's a lot of stuff haha. But I don't think I can fully relax into it until I see all of that. 

That's how it felt for the first 24 hours. But yesterday evening when it hit MASN, with public comments from Rubenstein and Angelos, it sunk in. And felt good sinking. 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think there's any good reason why MLB or the other owners would block this move.  I think MLB and the other owners understand that Angelos is not popular with the fanbase specifically and not well thought of by others outside the fanbase, too.  The Rubenstien group represents the type of group that the MLB would like to have owning one of their franchises.  I can't imagine who'd look to block this move. 

• Upvote 1

It’s been a joke by some but I do wonder if this finally gets the AS game back here.

I will say this…im very interested in buying season tickets now. May not for this season until this is all finalized but next year its definitely on the table.