Spring Training game broadcasts

rm5678

On 2/1/2024 at 8:04 AM, Frobby said:

I’m going to games on March 5, 8, 10 and 13, and will certainly be posting my observations.  

So you're seeing all away games?  Probably can get better seats but Phillies and Tigers crowds are usually pretty strong regardless.  It will be good to see the new/upgraded Dunedin stadium, the old one was horrible.  And is the Braves stadium in Venice brand new?  I imagine that game will be packed too. 

I'll be in Sarasota the same week almost - seeing games at Ed Smith on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th.  Got my tickets last October or November I think, so I've got some nice shaded aisle seats above the dugout.  May regret the shade if it's too breezy but usually walk around a lot anyway, will do standing room if needed to warm up :)

Can't wait!

Will be checking this thread to see about broadcasts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

There's no excuse for broadcasters to be calling the games remotely. Unfortunate that MASN is still living in 2020/2021.

It’s either infrastructure, safety protocols (Palmer is at an age to easily avoid exposure) or a combination of both. Not creating excuses, but there are reasons.

Expect the team to advance their reach to the fans and it will be interesting to see the next several years what kinks will be worked out!

1 hour ago, rm5678 said:

The Nationals announced their ST broadcast schedule today. Not sure why the Orioles didn't do it at the same time. The Nats are televising 7 ST games (including their Futures game) and will also have approximately 13 games on the radio. I hope the O's will at least match that.

Here's a really being overly optimistic idea:  What if the delay in announcing is that the new owners want to broadcast more and they're scrambling to get all the kinks worked out in order to do so?  

One can hope!

~~~~~~~~~

[Edit - Don't rely on my post below.  Apparently I've gotten several sources that aren't accurate.  Check out the post from @rm5678  for some better info. ]

~~~~~~~~~

The March 17th game against Detroit will be a radio broadcast that can be found on the audacy app, "The BET Detroit 1270am"

The two Red Sox games (March 18 and 21) will be broadcast on NESN+ and NESN360.  I know nothing about these subscription packages, or whether that means the MLB app will pick them up or not, but suspect not. 

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, justD said:

The March 17th game against Detroit will be a radio broadcast that can be found on the audacy app, "The BET Detroit 1270am"

The two Red Sox games (March 18 and 21) will be broadcast on NESN+ and NESN360.  I know nothing about these subscription packages, or whether that means the MLB app will pick them up or not, but suspect not. 

I have tickets to the 3/17 game in Lakeland.  Hopefully @Frobby is on about Burnes starting.  Perhaps Basallo is there?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bobmc said:

I have tickets to the 3/17 game in Lakeland.  Hopefully @Frobby is on about Burnes starting.  Perhaps Basallo is there?

I think the team has two games on the 17th, one in Sarasota and one in Lakeland.  I like your chances of seeing Basallo a lot better than your chances of seeing Burnes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sevastras said:

I didn’t realize spring training was at Chernobyl. 

The A's are trying to find a home while the Las Vegas stadium is being built.  Chernobyl A's with the radioactive song  as all the home team players walk up song. Also some can use Some Like It Hot by Power Station. 

Edited by Going Underground
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, justD said:

We play the Red Sox on March 16, not 18. The March 16 game is not showing up on the list that I found of Red Sox game broadcasts. I expect that the MLB app (MLB TV) will pick up the March 21st broadcast.

The March 17th radio broadcast (vs Tigers) will be on the MLB app & MLB TV.

Also, the Pirates announced their broadcast schedule:

• The Feb 25 & Mar 3 games in Bradenton will be televised on AT&T SportsNet and MLB TV.
  • Feb 29, Mar 6, & Mar 22 in Sarasota will be on Pirates radio and MLB TV (radio broadcasts only, no TV, unless MASN televises them).

All games on MLB TV will also be on the MLB app.

I'm currently counting 11 O's game broadcasts so far. That doesn't include MASN games (which will hopefully be announced in the next several days) and doesn't include the Rays, Braves, Twins, Yankees, & Blue Jays, who also haven't announced their broadcast schedules yet. So the final total should be much more than 11.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, rm5678 said:

We play the Red Sox on March 16, not 18. The March 16 game is not showing up on the list that I found of Red Sox game broadcasts. I expect that the MLB app (MLB TV) will pick up the March 21st broadcast.

The March 17th radio broadcast (vs Tigers) will be on the MLB app & MLB TV.

Also, the Pirates announced their broadcast schedule:

• The Feb 25 & Mar 3 games in Bradenton will be televised on AT&T SportsNet and MLB TV.
  • Feb 29, Mar 6, & Mar 22 in Sarasota will be on Pirates radio and MLB TV (radio broadcasts only, no TV, unless MASN televises them).

All games on MLB TV will also be on the MLB app.

I'm currently counting 11 O's game broadcasts so far. That doesn't include MASN games (which will hopefully be announced in the next several days) and doesn't include the Rays, Braves, Twins, Yankees, & Blue Jays, who also haven't announced their broadcast schedules yet. So the final total should be much more than 11.

I must have an old Spring Training schedule.  Next time I'll post the source(s) to see how it is I keep getting things wrong.  I do know the seats I have in hand, and will stick to that from now on. :D 

Thanks for your info!

Rich Dubroff wrote this in his Q&A column this morning.

Question: With new ownership in place, do you see any possible changes to the number of radio and television broadcasts in spring training? From: @Blackbirds83

Answer: Not for this spring training. The Orioles are going to broadcast 12 games on radio, and I think they’ll all be Friday, Saturday and Sunday games as they have in the past. The Nationals announced last week they’ll be televising seven games, and the Orioles are contractually obligated to the same number.

In the future, it’s possible that the Orioles bring back streaming of Grapefruit League games that aren’t on WBAL/98 Rock, and perhaps increasing the number of games on TV, but that’s for 2025.

I hope that the official announcement will be coming soon.

• Upvote 1

I agree we will likely see the same number the Nationals have scheduled, 11, for this season. Hopefully, Roch or someone else will have some updates at least from Sarasota during the broadcast, as they’ll be remote again this year. Wonder how much they really save by not sending the crew to Sarasota. You’d like to think they could rent a few Airbnbs for a month and do this right. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, phatty said:

I agree we will likely see the same number the Nationals have scheduled, 11, for this season. Hopefully, Roch or someone else will have some updates at least from Sarasota during the broadcast, as they’ll be remote again this year. Wonder how much they really save by not sending the crew to Sarasota. You’d like to think they could rent a few Airbnbs for a month and do this right. 

Jacob Calvin Meyer posted a later update on Twitter saying there will be 7 televised O's games this year, just like the Nats. But MASN is probably the only network in MLB that is doing remote spring training broadcasts this year. I could understand it in 2021, but in 2024 it makes no sense. There's no valid excuse, in my opinion, to not send the broadcasters to Florida.

4 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Jacob Calvin Meyer posted a later update on Twitter saying there will be 7 televised O's games this year, just like the Nats. But MASN is probably the only network in MLB that is doing remote spring training broadcasts this year. I could understand it in 2021, but in 2024 it makes no sense. There's no valid excuse, in my opinion, to not send the broadcasters to Florida.

Yes agreed this just doesn’t make much sense.  To be generous you are talking about $300-400 per day per person to send them to Florida.  I don’t know how many people they need for these broadcasts but lets say 10 you are talking maybe $100K for them to be there a month.  It is a bad look.