What About Julio Urias?

Bahama O's Fan

ESPN

Urias, currently a free agent, previously was suspended 20 games by MLB in August 2019 following an arrest on suspicion of misdemeanor domestic battery. He was not criminally charged in that incident. If suspended again, Urias would become the first repeat offender in the history of the league's domestic violence policy, which launched in August 2015.

The problem is the off the field baggage.  As a pitcher he'd be a terrific get for us.  In his prime at 27, lefty with established track record.  He went 20-3 with a 2.96 ERA just 3 years ago.

Might be able to get him more cheaply than others... but the domestic violence issue could blow up in our face....

22 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Why do people keep wanting to sign domestic abusers?

Because winning is valued more than being a Boy Scout. I don’t have to like the players on the team. I just want them to perform.

That said, for a talent like this to still be sitting there, I think it says something.

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

Okay, give me the lowdown. What happened?

Arrested in 2019, prosecution deferred upon completion of a 52-week program.

Arrested in 2023, the DA announced last month that they wouldn't pursue charges, but that doesn't preclude MLB from punishing him, which they almost certainly will. I would be surprised if he was signed before MLB punishment comes down.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Are you trying to say this is the new moneyball?

joke

noun

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

"she was in a mood to tell jokes"

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Arrested in 2019, prosecution deferred upon completion of a 52-week program.

Arrested in 2023, the DA announced last month that they wouldn't pursue charges, but that doesn't preclude MLB from punishing him, which they almost certainly will. I would be surprised if he was signed before MLB punishment comes down.

This makes sense. If he is suspended for most or all the year, he probably doesn’t get signed.