What About Julio Urias?

Bahama O's Fan

25 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Why do people keep wanting to sign domestic abusers?

Maybe it is my experience in law enforcement but just because someone is arrested and even charged, doesn't mean they are guilty. It doesn't even mean they did actually committed a crime. I have no information regarding Urias or these incidents. I am talking in general terms. I don't think an arrest without any further actions should matter from a baseball sense. This is not a political statement. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

Maybe it is my experience in law enforcement but just because someone is arrested and even charged, doesn't mean they are guilty. It doesn't even mean they did actually committed a crime. I have no information regarding Urias or these incidents. I am talking in general terms. I don't think an arrest without any further actions should matter from a baseball sense. This is not a political statement. 

But the flip side of that is not everyone is arrested for every crime they commit. You might not catch someone shoplifting or drinking and driving every time. Maybe not even the first 100. That’s why the fact that there’s two incidents, and years apart, might point to this dude having actual real problems. 

Just the other side of the charged but never convicted argument. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

But the flip side of that is not everyone is arrested for every crime they commit. You might not catch someone shoplifting or drinking and driving every time. Maybe not even the first 100. That’s why the fact that there’s two incidents, and years apart, might point to this dude having actual real problems. 

Just the other side of the charged but never convicted argument. 

Again, as I said, I know nothing about his situation. Unfortunately, I have dealt with many folks during the worse days of their lives as they deal with traumatic events and horrifically bad decisions. None of us would like to be judged in perpetuity for our worse mistakes. Absent something more than an accusation (which is what a criminal charge is) I don't think people should be blackballed from their profession. If baseball players were not in the public eye, we wouldn't even know about these issues. I have seen many cases were the "victim" (both male and female) made claims and even staged the incident for their own reasons of revenge or anger.

Edited by MCO'sFan

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

If you worked in law enforcement you  know that a small percentage of domestic abuse actually gets reported, and even less result in an arrest and prosecution.  I certainly don't know the details, but my guess is if this guy has been arrested twice then I'd bet my 401k he's engaged in domestic violence many many more times.  Domestic violence is pattern behavior, and not usually just a "he's having a bad day" and let's not judge him for his worst day kind of thing...

I admit I'm generalizing and don't know him or the details of his cases but often where there's smoke there's fire with these kinds of situations.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

1) I came to make a joke: It's the new market inefficiency.

2) But in seriousness: I don't think it's fair to lump Trevor Bauer and this guy together.

I think it was a reference to German, not Bauer.  I could be wrong though.  I don't look at Bauer as an abuser.

2 hours ago, Otter said:

If you worked in law enforcement you  know that a small percentage of domestic abuse actually gets reported, and even less result in an arrest and prosecution.  I certainly don't know the details, but my guess is if this guy has been arrested twice then I'd bet my 401k he's engaged in domestic violence many many more times.  Domestic violence is pattern behavior, and not usually just a "he's having a bad day" and let's not judge him for his worst day kind of thing...

I admit I'm generalizing and don't know him or the details of his cases but often where there's smoke there's fire with these kinds of situations.

I have been on hundreds of domestic calls. I lost my professional bearing exactly three times. All three on domestics. You can make the same argument with any offense. If they got one DUI then they've committed 50. That's a straw man argument to me. I will repeat, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT URIAS' SITUATION. I too am generalizing. I have also been on dozens of domestic violence calls that were bogus. But, in many cases the statutes around the country have been changed from may arrest to must arrest. Let me be clear. I am not making excuses for any person who commits domestic violence. I just know that sometimes, there is more to the story. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I have been on hundreds of domestic calls. I lost my professional bearing exactly three times. All three on domestics. You can make the same argument with any offense. If they got one DUI then they've committed 50. That's a straw man argument to me. I will repeat, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT URIAS' SITUATION. I too am generalizing. I have also been on dozens of domestic violence calls that were bogus. But, in many cases the statutes around the country have been changed from may arrest to must arrest. Let me be clear. I am not making excuses for any person who commits domestic violence. I just know that sometimes, there is more to the story. 

I agree; I've seen many bogus reports and false claims.  But with all the evidence against this guy, I don't see that being the case at all here.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

Also having gone on more of these calls than I could ever remember, yes, you must arrest the accused on suspicion to get them out of the house. I also know that the overwhelming majority, in my experience, are not convicted. I try not to label anyone until they are. Arrested on suspicion does not mean guilty.

• Upvote 1