Roster implications for trading Ortiz

ChuckS

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You like to quote Tony a lot. Tony believes Holliday will end up the SS and Gunnar at third.

I think you are completely way off on your assessment. With that I mean, I’m not saying you are wrong that he has limitations but your lack of understanding or belief that he can’t greatly improve upon it is astonishingly wrong.

Now, if he gets lazy or chooses not to work on his defense than maybe you end up being right. I think if you believe that though, you (not saying you you, just a general you) are a fool. 

Of course I quote Tony. He’s the authority on this board as it relates to their prospects and I value his opinion.

I can’t say that I’ve seen him post that he thinks that Holliday ends up at SS and Gunnar at third. Perhaps I missed it. Is that your feeling @Tony-OH?

I’ve seen enough of Holliday that my feeling is that he ends up at 2B. That’s my opinion and time will tell us. 

Edited by banks703

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't want Cal involved with roster decisions period.

There is a 0% chance he will be unless the new ownership group decides they want to find a way to be worse than the old one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

I think he will, but if he doesn't, I don't see him spending much time in AAA. 

Either way, Ortiz was blocked long term. He had to be dealt.

Mike Elias already stated they wanted to give Holliday more time to face left handed pitching in the minors. He's also got to prove he has improved his defensive range. I find the probability he will be on the opening day roster to be less than 50%. He will probably get a call sometime middle of the season. Norby is likely to get a call up before Jackson, if he (Norby) doesn't get traded.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Or Westburg could have been dealt. The Brewers could have demanded Westburg instead of Ortiz. 

It’s easy to make statements like that after they happen, as if it was always inevitable.  Nothing is inevitable. There’s always multiple paths. 

Just what I think. I liked Ortiz better than Westburg. Perhaps the Brewers did also. I like the trade, but Ortiz could have easily started at second or short for the Orioles in 2024.

This was the value of tendering a contract to Urias. He will hold down the fort until Holliday arrives and then be a steady veteran bench guy to back up at 3B, 2B, and 1B. Don't think he's going anywhere now. Mateo I'm not sure, maybe there's still a minor trade out there.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Just what I think. I liked Ortiz better than Westburg. Perhaps the Brewers did also. I like the trade, but Ortiz could have easily started at second or short for the Orioles in 2024.

I think it's pretty obvious that the Orioles valued Westburg > Ortiz based on how they handled their promotions / playing time. 

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I’ll go as far as claiming to be Joey’s biggest fanboy but I am extremely happy with the trade (even though I’m not the biggest fan of Burnes).

Joey gets an opportunity and doesn’t continue to waste away in the minors and the O’s get a legitimate top of the rotation pitcher. The net gain for 24, for a legitimate title run was too good. 

13 minutes ago, TheWall said:

I think it's pretty obvious that the Orioles valued Westburg > Ortiz based on how they handled their promotions / playing time. 

Totally agree. Westburg just seems to be their guy despite Ortiz having the extra value as a  true SS. 

38 minutes ago, banks703 said:

Of course I quote Tony. He’s the authority on this board as it relates to their prospects and I value his opinion.

I can’t say that I’ve seen him post that he thinks that Holliday ends up at SS and Gunnar at third. Perhaps I missed it. Is that your feeling @Tony-OH?

I’ve seen enough of Holliday that my feeling is that he ends up at 2B. That’s my opinion and time will tell us. 

We had a thread a few months back talking about the future IF thoughts and that was his thought.

Elias mentioned Holliday at second at one of the end of year interviews. He said something along the lines of a way to get him into lineup even if his defense is behind a little. Then he talked about his development and going from 19-20 is one of the largest developmental periods for human body.