Would the Burnes trade have happened without the pending ownership change?

Frobby

Would the Burnes trade have happened without the pending ownership change?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Burnes trade have happened without the pending owjnership change?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/10/24 at 19:33

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

My question is what took this deal so long? It's about as straight forward as it gets. 

Elias was possibly pursuing Luzardo and Cease.   I’m not convinced Burnes was Plan A but the cost was right when Bendix and Getz wouldn’t accept what Elias was offering.

On the WS board those jokers just assume this was the offer for Cease.  I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

My question is what took this deal so long? It's about as straight forward as it gets. 

I think Elias is very deliberate, and wanted to get the best deal he could after looking under every Roch.   You can find posts from me dating to mid-December saying that a deal for a pitcher wouldn’t happen until the second half of January or even later.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Elias is very deliberate, and wanted to get the best deal he could after looking under every Roch.   You can find posts from me dating to mid-December saying that a deal for a pitcher wouldn’t happen until the second half of January or even later.   

For sure. It's not a criticism of Elias or anything, just more curiosity about how trades come to be. I am sure Cease held up a lot of things. And maybe MIL simply decided "screw it, approved" after shopping Burnes around. Maybe the Rosenthals of the world will have some tidbits at some point. 

Also... just noticed your Roch wordplay. Lol. 

Edited by interloper

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if he's this board's Darth Vader, that must make him someone's father.  I'm picking SG :)

Yeah SG is a pain in the butt (stubborn, condescending) but to his credit he is well read. Hell over on CWS board where he is hated there were a couple of posters giving credit to Roll Tide and Sg for saying the headliner for a big trade would be Ortiz 

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well done.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias was possibly pursuing Luzardo and Cease.   I’m not convinced Burnes was Plan A but the cost was right when Bendix and Getz wouldn’t accept what Elias was offering.

On the WS board those jokers just assume this was the offer for Cease.  I doubt it.

It's funny that the WS fans were sure the O's were going to collapse in 2024 w/o an elite starter and the O's got a much better starter in Burnes for a much lesser price (although for only 1 year).  It seems like WS fans and probably Getz were looking for at least twice what the O's gave up for Burnes.  I was a big fan of trading for Cease, but he is nowhere close to being a good bet to be elite in 2024 as Burnes is.

In the past, Peter would ask what would it take to re-sign the player, clutch at his heart like Fred Sanford from the sticker shock, and nix the deal.  His son, Fredo hasn't fallen far from the tree.   

Sorry @Frobby, Ellis wouldn't have pursued this deal if he didn't think there was a chance he could bring Burnes back.

58ffed85-394f-42c7-a0e9-f3e10faa84dc_tex

Edited by TonySoprano
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Yeah SG is a pain in the butt (stubborn, condescending) but to his credit he is well read. Hell over on CWS board where he is hated there were a couple of posters giving credit to Roll Tide and Sg for saying the headliner for a big trade would be Ortiz 

Nah, he's really good.  I like SG, he brings a lot to the board and I've learned a lot from him over the years even if we've butted heads from time to time.   

He's also markedly nicer than he was the first time around.  🤣

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's funny that the WS fans were sure the O's were going to collapse in 2024 w/o an elite starter and the O's got a much better starter in Burnes for a much lesser price (although for only 1 year).  It seems like WS fans and probably Getz were looking for at least twice what the O's gave up for Burnes.  I was a big fan of trading for Cease, but he is nowhere close to being a good bet to be elite in 2024 as Burnes is.

I have more confidence in Burnes in 2024 but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.   

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve seen some posts suggesting that the Burnes trade is related to the pending ownership change.  Do you agree with that view?

My opinion is that they are unrelated and the trade would have happened regardless of the pending ownership change.  The timing is just serendipitous.  

You're forcing me to trim my hedges!  

Voted No but can see the Yes case.  

I think Cease's 2024 salary was the attraction as much as his stuff.  Cease's 2025 will push toward Burnes' in 2024.  The Kimbrel option fits the portfolio perfectly with/without a sale.  I think Burnes was a prepared pivot.  

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

In the past, Peter would ask what would it take to re-sign the player, clutch at his heart like Fred Sanford from the sticker shock, and nix the deal.  His son, Fredo hasn't fallen far from the tree.   

Sorry @Frobby, Ellis wouldn't have pursued this deal if he didn't think there was a chance he could bring Burnes back.

58ffed85-394f-42c7-a0e9-f3e10faa84dc_tex

I disagree with your conclusion in this case, but the Godfather Gif is perfect!