Regarding Hays & Cowser, would you rather...

Greg Pappas

Regarding Hays & Cowser, would you rather...  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding Hays & Cowser, would you rather...

• ...keep Hays (probably for the two years before he hits FA) AND trade Cowser?
    • ...trade Hays AND keep Cowser for six seasons?
    • ...trade neither, let their playing time sort itself out and revisit this at a later date?
    • None of the above, I'll explain.

9 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Yeah we're going to need you to stop slandering Austin until you can correctly pull up his OPS (I think you swapped it for his slugging %) and stop quoting useless stats like average steals and RBIs. This is beyond silly. 

I actually meant to post SLG (not sure why I wrote OPS). If you disagree with me then provide some stats that suggest Hays is anything more than an average hitter at best. 

6 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is why I voted to keep both because I don’t see Hays returning enough in trade value to make it worth dealing him right now. I might be open to trading Cowser to land an established veteran pitcher, but it would have to be a really good trade after picking up Burnes. 

Hays has been healthy the last two seasons, but there’s a chance he gets injured early in the year and that would immediately open up playing time for Cowser. 

Right now I think the best bet is start the season with both leaving open room for an in-season trade involving one of them. 

I voted to keep both too.  It's a wait and see. 

I think a twist on the OP's question would be if there's an injury on another team and they come knocking, which do you offer.  Unless Hayes is having a stellar year and assuming Cowser is making progress and otherwise equal at that point, I think I might try to get something extra for Hayes.  I base that on youth alone and it's not something I would do without still having residual worries.

I like Hayes.  He's a gamer.  Hard decision.

edit - added "extra"

Edited by drjohnnyfever1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has a 107 OPS+ for his career and was at 114 OPS+ in 2023.

I believe the league average OPS+ is just over 100. So Hays is "slightly" above league average. So I guess you're technically right, but it hardly seems like a ringing endorsement. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I believe the league average OPS+ is just over 100. So Hays is "slightly" above league average. So I guess you're technically right, but it hardly seems like a ringing endorsement. 

I'm not really trying to make much of a case either way.

It just wasn't accurate to say he's been average at best.

Santander has an OPS+ of 109 for his career, Mountcastle is at 114.

You don't have to walk a ton to be above average.  (It sure does help tho)

45 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is precisely why you keep both. Let Cowser best him. To you it won’t be hard. But if he can’t he still provides a slightly above average with upside….

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

This is precisely why you keep both. Let Cowser best him. To you it won’t be hard. But if he can’t he still provides a slightly above average with upside….

How is he going to best him if he doesn't get regular ABs? That's my concern. I think Cowser is going to be stuck behind Hays all season long. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How does Cowser best him?

What's the process?

Let it play out on the field. Coward can take it away or Hays can beat him back. This is a good problem to have. 

And we should remember not every single one of the Oriole prospects are going to max out. Even if it feels that way. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Let it play out on the field. Coward can take it away or Hays can beat him back. This is a good problem to have. 

And we should remember not every single one of the Oriole prospects are going to max out. Even if it feels that way. 

But how?

Do you sit Hays for a few weeks and see how "Coward" does?  Do you wait for Hays to get hurt?

I'm not sure how you can let it play out on the field.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But how?

Do you sit Hays for a few weeks and see how "Coward" does?  Do you wait for Hays to get hurt?

I like Hays, but I think they have to move him and give Cowser the job with Norby getting a few at bats in left and second. If we're going to sign any outfielders, I'd go with Santander since he gives us power and can DH.

23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How is he going to best him if he doesn't get regular ABs? That's my concern. I think Cowser is going to be stuck behind Hays all season long. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But how?

No reason they can’t both play. Hays takes the lead role. Cowser gets a steady but smaller role. He can earn more or Hays can earn more. It’s quite possible this brings out the best in Hays while allowing Cowser to have a steady rip. 

1 hour ago, TopGunnar said:

Don’t understand people being so down on Cowser. He came up and struggled in 100 at bats. Give him a chance 

Are a lot of fans really down on Cowser and I don’t mean the loudmouths on Facebook and Twitter. Cal, Gunnar and Adley would have been written off early going by small sample sizes. 

Cowser needs to get an extended look with consistent playing time if he’s going to be on the MLB roster. There’s not too much of a point of Cowser starting the season with the Orioles if he’s only going to  play one day a week.