MASN off of Comcast?

Sports Guy

28 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, more important depends on who you are talking to.   I know many, many people who get their TV via Comcast and their ability to watch the Orioles is at stake based on whether a deal is reached.

My point is, they’ll almost certainly reach a deal, but on what terms?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My point is, they’ll almost certainly reach a deal, but on what terms?

I would hope so.  I know there was a multi-season stretch a few years ago where the biggest cable provider in the LA area didn't reach agreement with the RSN that carried most Dodger games so a huge # of LA area fans were unable to watch the games.

The one saving factor is that Rubenstein will soon be assuming ownership (or control?) of MASN, right?   I can't believe that he would allow something like that to happen as one of the first things to occur on his watch.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I know many, many people who get their TV via Comcast and their ability to watch the Orioles is at stake based on whether a deal is reached.

I'm one of those people, and I watch every O's game, so this would be devastating to me if they don't come to an agreement.

I've always been of the mindset that as long as there's a above board legal way to get programming I will do it, but if there isn't I'll go find whatever alternatives I can to watch it.    If there's no deal I'll be back here in March asking for the best alternatives out there. :)

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Eh, noise. IDGAF anyway, having cut the cord long ago.

I know the feeling though… Dish pulled that BS a couple years ago. I’m hoping Rubenstein can find a way to ala carte everything. There will certainly be demand.

It's 2024 in-market fans of their favorite baseball team shouldn't have to be forced to buy a cable television subscription to watch the games. Most of us are more than willing to pay for it, but we just want to watch the Orioles and not pay for a 100+ channels we'll never watch.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

MASN is literally the only reason I still have Xfinity. If they lose that then I’m done and probably going to YouTubeTV and will have to buy MLB extra innings with VPN. 

Same here, well, MASN and the Golf Channel. If they drop MASN then I’m out in terms of cable (would still need their internet unfortunately) and would look to go MLB as well. Needless to say, I am really hoping an agreement can be made. 

35 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

MASN is literally the only reason I still have Xfinity. If they lose that then I’m done and probably going to YouTubeTV and will have to buy MLB extra innings with VPN. 

Same here.  The cost of Xfinity seems to go up 10%+ every year.  Getting rid of Xfinity if they don't have MASN will be the easiest decision I ever made.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MDK02 said:

You could do DirecTV stream and get MASN on that.

Its more expensive than YouTubeTV but may be cheaper than this route..and then just switch to YoutubeTV in the offseason.

Ok, the precedent has been set. Can someone please explain to me why the Orioles/MASN aren't able to offer something similar? For context, the typical MLB package price is $149.99. So they're basically charging an extra $50 to watch the blacked out local games plus everything else OR $100 just to watch the local games. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/dbacks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Ok, the precedent has been set. Can someone please explain to me why the Orioles/MASN aren't able to offer something similar? For context, the typical MLB package price is $149.99. So they're basically charging an extra $50 to watch the blacked out local games plus everything else OR $100 just to watch the local games. 

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe/dbacks

I would think this would be very profitable for MASN.