Bauer interested in O's

Bigbie03

6 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

No, but it certainly is weird how often men - and apparently also the police in general - assume that every accusation that is made is false.

Really?  What makes you think that?  I don’t think that’s true at all.

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

People don’t make false allegations all of the time.  It rarely happens, but admittedly is much more likely to happen with an athlete than someone from the general population. 

This is categorically wrong! Plus you’re getting the side of the alleged victim. In many cases with athletes it’s about money and extortion. Flowers of the Ravens appears to be going through that now….open investigation for more than a month without charges, allegations that she wanting money to be hush, etc. 

Sadly, men are treated guilty until proven innocent. Look …domestic problems are no joke. They seem to be common in the 20-35 age range. People arent even mature enough to deal with adult issues. You don’t what role she played, and was it physical? 

Some of them are guilty scum bags, some aren’t ….but it appears hopeless when you’re really not guilty but being portrayed that way. 

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to review the Bauer situation:

1.  His accuser sought a restraining order and the Court denied it based on lack of evidence.  

2.  The prosecutors decided not to charge him based on insufficient evidence.  

3.  His accuser sued him civilly and dropped her complaint without him paying any damages.

So, at this point, there’s no reason to believe that Bauer engaged in illegal or even civilly actionable behavior.  

Now, does that mean that Bauer doesn’t have some weird sexual preferences that leave you shaking your head?  No, not necessarily.  But that alone wouldn’t keep him off my baseball team, if he would help the team on the field and be a decent teammate.   But as to that, I’ll let Elias be the judge.  

There were two other women, one who sought a protective order against him and one who accused him of sexual assault.

• Upvote 1

I can see the risk of a PR hit if we do sign Bauer.  I guess I'll call it the court of public opinion.

BUT, there was a time where Bauer was a hot commodity, and teams accepted his "alleged" clubhouse quirks (whatever they are/were) because of his talent, held their breath and hoped for the best.

I think the situation is different now.  Any team, including the Orioles - if Bauer really wants that second chance - can have the hard conversation with him about the culture of the team and how they want/need Bauer to be a role model going forward, a leader, a mentor and a positive presence within the organization.  It's as simple as that......are you ready to step up and be this guy, or not?   And, as someone else indicated, if he ends up being a turd in our punch bowl, then we release him.  

If the guy has gotten his head right and can be a positive addition to our team, our mission and our culture.....and help mentor the younger guys, I'd do a one year deal with a club option for a second year.   But again, he needs to be on board with the person our team needs him to be, or all bets are off.  Period.  

Anyone on board with this?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

1.  His accuser sought a restraining order and the Court denied it based on lack of evidence.  

3.  His accuser sued him civilly and dropped her complaint without him paying any damages.

So, at this point, there’s no reason to believe that Bauer engaged in illegal or even civilly actionable behavior.  

Now, does that mean that Bauer doesn’t have some weird sexual preferences that leave you shaking your head?  No, not necessarily.  But that alone wouldn’t keep him off my baseball team, if he would help the team on the field and be a decent teammate.   But as to that, I’ll let Elias be the judge.  

Did the MLB investigation resulting in the suspension have findings beyond those related to the accuser?

14 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I can see the risk of a PR hit if we do sign Bauer.  I guess I'll call it the court of public opinion.

BUT, there was a time where Bauer was a hot commodity, and teams accepted his "alleged" clubhouse quirks (whatever they are/were) because of his talent, held their breath and hoped for the best.

I think the situation is different now.  Any team, including the Orioles - if Bauer really wants that second chance - can have the hard conversation with him about the culture of the team and how they want/need Bauer to be a role model going forward, a leader, a mentor and a positive presence within the organization.  It's as simple as that......are you ready to step up and be this guy, or not?   And, as someone else indicated, if he ends up being a turd in our punch bowl, then we release him.  

If the guy has gotten his head right and can be a positive addition to our team, our mission and our culture.....and help mentor the younger guys, I'd do a one year deal with a club option for a second year.   But again, he needs to be on board with the person our team needs him to be, or all bets are off.  Period.  

I don’t want them to sign him 

13 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

He is a very strong personality who has generally thought he was not just the smartest person in the room but knew better than the organization.  It’s possible that he might have been somewhat humbled, but these latest statements seem more like an act.  I watched his video re the accuser and definitely think it was good that he exposed the contradictions in her claims. But the attitude throughout the video was and in interviews afterwards was not this new humble Bauer we are seeing. 

Given the lack of veteran leadership on the team, I would be reluctant to bring such a strong personality aboard.  Teams need pitching and it seems no one wants to touch him. There are plenty of states in red areas of the country that wouldn’t be afraid to bring on a player who claims he was wrongfully accused.  It would have a strong appeal to many of their fans.  Yet none of these teams have stepped up. 

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is a very strong personality who has generally thought he was not just the smartest person in the room but knew better than the organization.  It’s possible that he might have been somewhat humbled, but these latest statements seem more like an act.  I watched his video re the accuser and definitely think it was good that he exposed the contradictions in her claims. But the attitude throughout the video was and in interviews afterwards was not this new humble Bauer we are seeing. 

Given the lack of veteran leadership on the team, I would be reluctant to bring such a strong personality aboard.  Teams need pitching and it seems no one wants to touch him. There are plenty of states in red areas of the country that wouldn’t be afraid to bring on a player who claims he was wrongfully accused.  It would have a strong appeal to many of their fans.  Yet none of these teams have stepped up. 

Valid points.  I have no idea if he's changed or how he's changed, and didn't take time to watch interviews or you tube things with him in them.  So, I admittedly lack that context.  Maybe he's just an unchangeable douche bag in general......not even related to the allegations.

My main point was that, if he could be a different, more positive influence in the clubhouse and committed to that, I might have the conversation.  The fact that no team has stepped up to sign this guy......I agree with you, it's speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It feels weird and almost too dismissive to label it as just a "weird sexual preference". When a man needs to physically assault a woman to "get off" I think it cuts much deeper, regardless of whether or not there was consent. 

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

No, if we bring him in (which I am not in favor of) it should be with the understanding that this is Gunnar's team, Bauer is a role player and should keep his mouth shut, period. I don't want his kind of leadership.