Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?

sportsfan8703

Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Trade Westburg for Luzardo or Cease?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What if he's a utility guy that gets a starter's number of at bats but all over the diamond?

That's honestly where I envision him.  Start at third today, start at second tomorrow and Monday while Jackson covers Gunnar's day off.  Tuesday he's in the outfield.

That would be perfectly fine with me as well....a Zobrist-like role with a full season of at-bats.

I would not trade Westburg just yet.

Holliday and Mayo going through the rookie adjustment period at the same time could tank the season.  Need to take that transition a little slower. Need to see if Mayo is a quality defensive 3B. Or if he ends up at 1B to get his bat into the order.

Means is supposed to be starting in April.  How effective is he?

How good and how close is McDermott to being a major league starter?

I am not saying that Westburg could not be traded at some point  but not just yet.

Adding Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad and Basallo to the lineup potentially gives the O's a Rangers like offense.  But it has to be done carefully to insure the O's can contend  while breaking all these  rookies into the lineup.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I would not trade Westburg just yet.

Holliday and Mayo going through the rookie adjustment period at the same time could tank the season.  Need to take that transition a little slower. Need to see if Mayo is a quality defensive 3B. Or if he ends up at 1B to get his bat into the order.

Means is supposed to be starting in April.  How effective is he?

How good and how close is McDermott to being a major league starter?

I am not saying that Westburg could not be traded at some point  but not just yet.

Adding Mayo, Holliday, Kjerstad and Basallo to the lineup potentially gives the O's a Rangers like offense.  But it has to be done carefully to insure the O's can contend  while breaking all these  rookies into the lineup.

I do not expect Westburg to be traded.  However, if he was, we could increase the playing time of Urias and Mateo and not lose that much while waiting for Mayo to be ready.   It would hurt a bit, but the gain from adding Cease or Luzardo probably would be worth it.   My bigger concern would be what else we’d have to give up.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'm thankful our front office has made a ton of great decisions to set us all up to enjoy a good run of baseball.

I hope as they are digesting 2023, and how very talented players can perform early against MLB competition, they are thinking about the investment value in performance of giving reps.

The other side of this coin is Holliday and Mayo getting a smaller number of reps ala 2023 Jordan Westburg could reduce their readiness to compete effectively this fall.    Holliday and Mayo not going through the rookie adjustment period this spring could tank the postseason.

On 3.28.2024, some Orioles players will practice and increase their baseball skill against the Angels, and others will sign the Norfolk apartment paperwork I hope a traveling secretary at least brokers for them.   

There's a lot more margin for error trying to be 6th best in the league over 6 months than there is being the very best for 3-5 games.

I'd trade Westburg in a package to get Luzardo for sure. 3 seasons of his arm is a lot of value. It really depends on what else would need to be in that trade package. Since we already sent off Ortiz, the depth becomes thinner pretty quickly. It would probably mean Holliday is on the ML roster to start the season, which is obviously fine. Would something like Westburg, Beavers, Povich, + get it done? Or we would rather do Cowser, Norby, Povich, +?

Westburg was on the team for 85 games last year and was a part of a 4 man IF rotation. He had 206 ABs. Let’s say in a full season in a 4 man IF role he would get 400 ABs. Would the drop off from Westburg to Urias in those 400 ABs be enough to not trade Westburg?  Both Urias and Westburg had .700ish OPS in 200ish ABs. 

Our team can absorb going from Westburg as the 4th IF to Urias being the 4th IF. Especially if it means landing a SP. 

The trades that make sense and could get deals done are,

Westburg and Cowser/Kjerstad for Cease. 

or

Westburg, Cowser/Kjerstad, Povich, Fabian for Luzardo

We’re not pillaging our system. We still have Basallo, EBJ, Beavers, Norby, Wagner, and Horvath, all in AA/AAA. 

We’d still have a slew of draft picks to restock the farm,

2024 - #22 and #32(Gunnar ROY)

2025 - #30, #31(Holliday ROY), #32(Burnes Comp Pick), Comp pick B

2026 - #30, #31 (Basallo ROY), #32 (Mullins Comp Pick), #33 (Hays Comp pick), #34(Cease Comp pick), #38 (comp pick A)

TLDR - Trading Westburg, and one of Cowser/Kjerstad, does not hinder are future. We still have a lot of talent in AAA/AA and a slew of draft picks coming up. Also, it’s funny to point out all the comp picks we could get for guys leaving in FA. But that won’t happen with everyone. 

Edited by sportsfan8703