Who will be the O's 5th starter?

oriolediehard

its highly probably that any FA signing (not that we are likely to make one anyway) won't be ready by week 1 any more than John Means will; so a FA is pretty much certainly not the answer any more (and apparently never was anyway). 

Wells had the best WHIP in the AL among starters in the first half next year; one could argue he deserved a shot to start even before the injury news.  To me he and Irvin as the obvious choices for the last 2 spots right now, and I could see Wells slotting ahead of Kremer in fact (not that it matters much after the first couple weeks).

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

Wells. Who else is there?

Isn't he 3rd or 4th? I see the pecking order something like:

Burnes

[Bradish] 

Grayson

[Means]

Kremer

Wells

Irvin

Zimmerman

McDermott

Povich/Johnson/Armbruester

Looking at it this way, the lack of depth is pretty alarming. Even with Wells in the rotation, that leaves Zimmerman as the next man up. After that we are talking about new guys.

Both Wells and Irvin in the rotation also leaves the bullpen a little thin. That would mean perhaps Akin or Baker making the team, which I would really like to avoid. (Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Cionel, Baumann, Webb, plus two of Tate/Akin/Baker/Vespi). 

If it weren't for the injuries I'd like to have Wells in the bullpen. I think it depends on how solid the prognosis is for Bradish and Means. If we think they will both be back fairly quick, maybe we keep Wells in the bullpen and use Zimmerman for a spot start every now and then rather than messing with Wells. Then we don't have to mess around with anyone's roles except Irvin in the event that both Bradish and Means make it back.

If we're planning to lose one or both for the whole year, then I agree it makes sense for Wells to start in the rotation (though he could be as high as #3 as a SP). 

Nah, I think we know what we (don't) have in Zimmermann... If we have to dip into our #8+ SP I think it needs to be Povich, McDermott, and then Johnson (in that order). Bet on someone taking the next step rather than betting on someone who has had that chance and not performed.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Well the Royals apaprently discussed a Witt for Perez swap earlier in the off season. Are you willing to give up Gunnar for him? I'm guessing probably not. 

Didn't realize the price was that high.  Just figure we have so much position player wealth, and the more time that passes, the more likely they get injured or exposed.  

Of course I know Elias is pursuing anything he can.  But Perez is the shiny object that really has my attention at the moment. :) 

48 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Well the Royals apaprently discussed a Witt for Perez swap earlier in the off season. Are you willing to give up Gunnar for him? I'm guessing probably not. 

I've seen mention of that and it seemed like whatever talks were had were very provisional. Eury was fantastic last year but I'm guessing if this was a serious trade proposal it would have been Eury as a centerpiece, + a couple other good pieces for Witt. 

Edited by Spy Fox

I was looking at pitcher achievements by year of birth at one point this winter, and Eury Perez leads Arms in rWAR by pitchers born in 2003.

He's also already ahead of any pitcher born in 2000, 2001 or 2002.

Probable Opening Day opponent Reid Detmers is the Born in 1999 leader for now, and has 2003 Eury by a small margin.

Despite last year's meltdown, and as a reminder of how great he was out of the gate, Alek Manoah still has the 1998 lead on Spencer Strider and George Kirby.

For now, the thoroughly prepared Grayson Rodriguez falls outside the 1999 Top 10.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I've seen mention of that and it seemed like whatever talks were had were very provisional. Eury was fantastic last year but I'm guessing if this was a serious trade proposal it would have been Eury as a centerpiece, + a couple other good pieces for Witt. 

Talks were apparently very preliminary, but everything I've read points to it basically being a one for one swap. Keep in mind this was before Witt signed an extension. I think it's very realistic to think the Marlins would ask for Henderson and that's why it's not even worth discussing Eury as a viable trade target. Apparently they wanted Basallo in a Luzardo trade and that was also a no go (on our end). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Isn't he 3rd or 4th? I see the pecking order something like:

Burnes

[Bradish] 

Grayson

[Means]

Kremer

Wells

Irvin

Zimmerman

McDermott

Povich/Johnson/Armbruester

It's early and much will get sorted out, but on immediate results and signals I could see Irvin leapfrogging Wells and Kremer. And early good work from the young trio at the bottom also bodes well for their chances to pass Zimmerman and McDermott.

There's no question that Wells is the guy, if we are only considering people on the current roster.  The question is whether the O's stick with what they have, or try to add.

When the Bradish and Means news came out, I assumed that the O's would have to at least sign someone like Lorenzen.   As more time passes, though, it is becoming apparent that the O's are going to stick with what they have, at least for now.   

There's a case to be made that standing pat is the right approach for now.  There's some hope that Irvin will be better this year and that Wells can return to the form he showed in the first half.  There is also hope that Wells and even Bradish could return at some point and pitch effectively.  If enough things go right there is no need to bring in another starter.  If enough things go wrong, they can always make a trade midseason.  

If they wind up having to give Bruce Zimmerman more than a couple of starts this season, it will be a sign that things haven't worked out and that they should have added more.  

Hmmmm....I am sure zero of Armbruester, McDermott or Povich are earning a full year of service in 2024 but the weeks they get used could be frontloaded if that is what the Club needs.      The April slate of opponents isn't terrible while hopefully both Bradish and Means progress towards whatever their year is going to be that month.

Swing & Misses #
137.svg 60 Ethan Small 12
113.svg 60 Tyler Gilbert 12
110.svg 60 Justin Armbruester 9

Seth Johnson.   I am going bit outside box but if they really believe Means and Bradish will be ready by early May then I think Wells is more valuable out of the pen then having a 5th starter with so many days off.  Johnson starts in minors to give extra arm in pen til he is needed on the 2nd 

Thursday March 28th Burns

Friday off

Saturday 30th GRod

Sunday 31st Kremer

April 1st Irvin

April 2nd Johnson up and sent right back for bullpen arm

April 3rd Burns

April 4th off

April 5th Grod

April 6th Kremer

April 7th Irvin

April 8th off

April 9th Burns

April 10th GRod 

April 11th Kremer

April 12th Irvin

April 13th Johnson back up extra arm back down then Johnson back down.

April 14th Burns

April 15th Grod

April 16th Kremer

April 17th Irvin

April 18th off

April 19th Burns

April 20th GRod 

April 21st Kremer

April 22nd Irvin 

April 23rd spot start/bullpen game 

April 24th Burns

April 25th off 

You shouldn’t have to manage innings for starters like previous years so I think keeping an extra arm in pen the first month along with Wells there is better then using a 5th starter 2-3 times the first month of season.