Who will be the O's 5th starter?

oriolediehard

During the April shortage, it may be illuminating how they balance Burnes' turns between 4 and 5 days of rest.

Nobody uses a rental pitcher these days like the Brewers used CC Sabathia that one time, but the schedule can be managed to steer a Top #1 towards 33 or 34 starts.

Barring rainouts the Yankees series ending on Game 31 would be his 7th turn pitching every 5th game.

But if for example they skipped the 5th starter and pitched him THU 3/28, TUE 4/2 and SUN 4/7, he could get 3 of the first 9 while Means and Bradish are trying to build up at whatever affiliate has home games that week.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

To answer the question Wells should be our 5th starter, which means our bullpen will then be down two solid arms (Hall and Wells). We REALLY need to find a way to acquire another bullpen arm via trade because the remaining FA options are 🤮.

Not necessarily. With the number off days in the first two weeks, you don't REALLY need a fifth starter until about halfway through the stretch that starts on 4/09.

Dark horse option:
If one of McDermott or Povich was consistently stellar this spring, maybe that pitcher could be the 5th starter, and Wells used in the pen due to his innings durability questions, and his proven quality BP record? 

31 minutes ago, Earl Buck said:

Dark horse option:
If one of McDermott or Povich was consistently stellar this spring, maybe that pitcher could be the 5th starter, and Wells used in the pen due to his innings durability questions, and his proven quality BP record? 

I was thinking something similar.  Instead of building Wells up and then having him start 3-5 games and then ask him to go to the bullpen for Means, just have someone else pick up those starts.  However, with the inexperience of those other pitchers and the possibility of Means having another delay or setback I think they have to just go with wells.  Keep an eye on Ort and Krook for this years Coulombe in the pen and maybe Baumann taking a step up which would help replace Hall, Wells, and Irvin in the bullpen.

Signing Lorenzen just seems like it makes too much sense to me.  You can start him, if guys get healthy you can move him him to the bullpen.  Starting the season without making another pitching addition just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, when do we need to have a guy like Lorenzen in camp by to get him ready in to start the year in Baltimore? Seems like all the FA pitchers need to sign within the next week if they want to be ready for the start of the season.

16 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Signing Lorenzen just seems like it makes too much sense to me.  You can start him, if guys get healthy you can move him him to the bullpen.  Starting the season without making another pitching addition just doesn't make any sense.

That being said, when do we need to have a guy like Lorenzen in camp by to get him ready in to start the year in Baltimore? Seems like all the FA pitchers need to sign within the next week if they want to be ready for the start of the season.

I’ve been trying to think of examples of pitchers who signed very late and see when they first appeared in a game.  Alex Cobb signed with us on March 21 and started for us on April 14, but he pitched like crap early that year and for most of that season.  Who else comes to mind (not limited to the O’s)?

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been trying to think of examples of pitchers who signed very late and see when they first appeared in a game.  Alex Cobb signed with us on March 21 and started for us on April 14, but he pitched like crap early that year and for most of that season.  Who else comes to mind (not limited to the O’s)?

Coulombe was purchased from the Twins on March 27th last year.

If I'm Lorenzen I'm not signing with a team where the rotation spot might be temporary.   I think there are better situations for him.  Probably waiting to see where Snell and Montgomery sign and go with the team that lost out.  Giants, Angel's, Red Sox.

2 hours ago, Earl Buck said:

Dark horse option:

I could even see us going with four starters as long as possible and giving Zimmermann a spot start or two to buy more time for Bradish and Means. Everyone will hate that option but we all know Elias hates to make premature 40 man roster additions. 

I like all 7-8 of our starting pitchers more than what's left on the free agent market beyond Snell and Montgomery. And the financial cost benefit analysis makes the guys on the team a less risky proposition because it's very possible one or 2 could have career seasons and there's less of a commitment for resources.

It's when you start to discuss trades that the conversation becomes interesting. But at this point, I think the Orioles just want to get their roster organized through spring training and know exactly what type of game condition every one they have is in.