Spring Training Lineups

DirtyBird

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Should we all be excited with our great playing in spring training, with a record about to be 13-2? 

It's always better to win than to lose,  but I refuse to get too excited about anything in spring other than just having baseball being played again.  That said the way Mayo and a few others are playing is hard to keep calm.  

Great to put faces and hitting stances to many of our exciting minor leagures. It's best to temper spring season success because all to often it means nothing come opening bell. We do have some exciting youngsters and our farm has been on real display. It takes many more than 26 to win the regular season and I believe we have the depth. 

13 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Two MLB quality lineups.  Mayo at 1B and a plus IF will get some reps for Team 2.  Hopefully Suarez gets a ton of GBs.

That's what I was thinking. Both of these lineups are better than some that will be fielded by some teams this season. 

15 hours ago, EdwinRip said:

Most of the players hitting well will be in AAA when the season starts.

This seems to happen most years. My guess is the guys who are on the bubble of getting a roster spot play their hearts out to try to win a spot, while the guys who are guaranteed a spot are taking it a little bit easier, working on stuff, etc.

17 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Should we all be excited with our great playing in spring training, with a record about to be 13-2? 

I think it just showcases the depth in the system. 
1. Our “B” lineup is better than most teams.

2. When we sub in game, better players are coming in than other teams.

3. It’s only 15 games.

Edited by IPlayGM
Omission

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Cowser has been in CF in 5 of his 8 starts this spring

I think it is the percentage play if Mullins ends up needs a few weeks to give Cowser the try at it.     McKenna makes team to caddy if Mullins is on the IL.

He isn't Kevin Kiermaier but it also probably wouldn't hurt in his second try at MLB Arms to get to feel like he's contributing on defense if he can, and Hyde to be able to tell him the cliches like don't worry if you are hitting .172 on April 13th, just go catch the ball.

Granted the first small sample on defense was discouraging like on offense, but the Sigbot has always meant for him to be a usable CF.    CF Cowser that thrives has Brandon NImmo upside, while Mullins tries to close in on that Brandon Nimmo contract.

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Two MLB quality lineups.  Mayo at 1B and a plus IF will get some reps for Team 2.  Hopefully Suarez gets a ton of GBs.

Look how deep this team is.  Those are two very talented lineups.  I’ll be at the Sarasota game today and I’m looking forward to seeing Burnes, though I wouldn’t have minded a second look at Suarez, either.