2024 Rangers, rookie rivals

Just Regular

I just got my first look at Wyatt Langford (batting 3rd today between Evan Carter and Adolis Garcia in Corey Seager's absence) in a MLB level broadcast and the general impression in the box is like if Austin Hays got some of the good Captain America super serum.

It will be good entertainment if we counter Carter and Langford with Holliday and Mayo both, and I know you're not dead yet Colton Cowser.

It is moot now, but I wonder what Josh Jung would have accomplished over a full rookie season.

Evan Carter was terrific in the playoffs last year(grrr) and is still rookie eligible, and Langford should be excellent this year as well.

I don’t think Holliday is our only ROY candidate, Mayo could be our Jung for instance, but if they hold them at AAA all bets are off.

• 1 month later...

Jack Leiter looks good but I can't help but notice how often he's a) blowing on his hand, then b) either licking his fingers or going to the back of his head to wipe stuff off his hair. 

I suppose this is legal enough, but he's got excellent control (3 BB to 25 K in AAA this season) and one could only hope our guys have figured out a way to get good grip on the ball like this, to give them better control (or at least increase their spin rates) as well. `\_(")_/`

On 3/10/2024 at 3:25 PM, Just Regular said:

I just got my first look at Wyatt Langford (batting 3rd today between Evan Carter and Adolis Garcia in Corey Seager's absence) in a MLB level broadcast and the general impression in the box is like if Austin Hays got some of the good Captain America super serum.

It will be good entertainment if we counter Carter and Langford with Holliday and Mayo both, and I know you're not dead yet Colton Cowser.

You are correct. He is very much not dead. here’s a clip from Fangraphs:

“The Orioles’ talented young hitter, a former top-five pick, was just named AL Player of the Week. No, not that one. Or that one. Or the other one. Colton Cowser, the no. 5 overall pick in 2021 out of Sam Houston State, went 10-for-23 with four home runs during the six games in question, and in the process became the first Oriole to drive in 10 runs in a single series at Fenway Park.

That’s a pretty solid week at the office, if you ask me. The Orioles have been playing series at Fenway Park for more than 70 years, and in that time nobody had ever driven in 10 runs in one series — a three-game series, no less!”

Edited by Philip

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

Jack Leiter’s line was atrocious today.

Maybe, but you could see the potential in the first inning.  He threw some good sliders and changeups along with a 96-98 mph fastball.   His command was pretty bad after that though.  I watched his first two innings.

Edited by RZNJ

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Maybe, but you could see the potential in the first inning.  He threw some good sliders and changeups along with a 96-98 mph fastball.   His command was pretty bad after that though.  I watched his first two innings.

His numbers were atrocious….no maybes about it.  His stuff was good but location was awful - Detroit was teeing off on him.  Sure the guy has potential but he pitched poorly today.

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

His numbers were atrocious….no maybes about it.  His stuff was good but location was awful - Detroit was teeing off on him.  Sure the guy has potential but he pitched poorly today.

Ok. No problem.  Did you see the fly ball to Tavera in CF in the 2nd.  Pretty routine except he misjudged the wind and it fell behind him (he had come to a stop, standing there ready to catch it) for a 2 or 3 run “triple”.  The numbers were atrocious.  He looked great in the first inning.  His command was poor after that and they lit him up.