Melewski: Hyde sets the rotation

interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

My first thought is: I kind of like Wells 3rd because I just think he's more trustworthy than Kremer, at least until he hits that mid-season wall. 

My second thought is: please hurry up, John. 

I trust the first 4 but we need Means

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

I trust the first 4 but we need Means

And I don't love being in the position of feeling like we need to count on Means, who hasn't thrown significant innings since 2021. I trust Elias, but he's really living on the edge with this rotation. The extreme risk aversion when it comes to trades and signings could come back to bite him, but we'll see. 

Seems like our depth rotation guys are: Zimmermann, Albert Suarez, Teheran, McDermott, Povich. Fine enough to eat some innings, but that's about it. Love McDermott, but can't expect too much from him in his rookie year. 

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Irvin should have been 4th to avoid Fenway

That's like 4 series from now and there are a 2 off days in April before then. They could easily shuffle things around to have him miss it if they want to. 

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/hyde-sets-rotation-elias-talks-roster-in-radio-interview

Confirmed to be:

1. Burnes
2. Grayson
3. Wells
4. Kremer
5. Irvin

No off-day shenanigans with skipping the 5th starter. Burnes' 2nd start will be game 6 of the season. 

IMO they should skip Irvin whenever possible.  I hate to think that in the Orioles organization we have no better pitcher than Irvin.  Remember this is WIN YEAR.

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

IMO they should skip Irvin whenever possible.  I hate to think that in the Orioles organization we have no better pitcher than Irvin.  Remember this is WIN YEAR.

In theory, Irvin should be a very good #5 if you look at his numbers with Oakland. For whatever reason since coming over he's been super inconsistent with his command. He's kind of gone the opposite way most pitchers go when they come here. It's a little curious. 

I've said this a lot all off-season, so pardon the repetition, but he threw back-to-back 180-inning seasons with an ERA in the low 4s. That's not easy to do. It's what we expect from Dean Kremer, for example. So... the question is why hasn't Irvin been able to be that guy as an Oriole so far? 

3 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Tough crowd. Never seen so much angst over a 4.50 ERA #5 starter who likely will only be in the rotation for a month. 

Show me where there is any angst. We're just discussing stuff. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Irvin should have been 4th to avoid Fenway

I was kind of hoping for that too, but maybe they manage around it when Game 10 arrives.

I think Hyde's message to Kremer is something like, "we trust you the most for innings, and need you between the probable lowest inning guys".

• Upvote 1

It's a decent rotation and I hope these guys stay healthy.  

Not expecting anything from Means, not expecting anything from Bradish.  Means, obviously, will be back at some point in time but it's hard to say how effective he'll be.   I understand why they're trying treatment with Bradish, but IMO they're just delaying the inevitable.