Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

No I don't but it's just funny watching people who criticized the decision to start him in AAA to now wanting to send him down after less than 30 ABs.

I wasn't one of them. All my coworkers said Jackson needed to be brought up here from Spring training. I was the only guy who said he wasn't ready. I'd like to think I know a bit about the game. The first game I saw in person, Jim Gentile was our first baseman. I'm old. 

Obviously, Holliday is a work in progress. But he looks a bit lost in the field and at the plate. Sending him down while maybe hurting his ego, hopefully will help get him back on track. You simply can't keep playing him here when he's failing every day. I mean think about it. You or I could get up to bat and probably get a hit or two from sheer luck. That isn't what you want from a guy penciled in as your next superstar.

I guarantee with more time at AAA perfecting his craft you'll see a different version of him when he gets a call up later this year 

I thought he would/should be on the opening day roster. I still don’t think he is far off from clicking. Maybe he just needs to wear a thong or breath out of his eyes. All the talent in the world is there for him to succeed but he needs to hit his stride, much like Gunnar had too. 
I give him two more weeks and then decide from there if he needs sent back down. I would also start him against the lefty today and just hope it clicks today. 

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Cant possibly be too much longer, this is starting to cause as much anxiety as John Means.

Absolutely no reason to keep him up much longer and loose the extra year. This kid has presumably always been the best player on his team and tore through the minors. This humbling experience will be the best thing for him and the team long-term. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It pains me to see Holliday struggle, but I have to admit there’s a part of me that just wants to dredge up every post where someone essentially called Elias an idiot for not having Holliday on the Opening Day roster or accused him of being solely motivated by manipulating service time.   What do you think now?

I wrote a couple of days ago that I thought Holliday would get two more weeks to show some signs of adjusting.   But now I’m thinking it might be more like a week (end of the road trip).   He’s really pressing terribly right now.   

One of those was me.  I fully admit to that.  I never expected JH to dominate here right away but I did expect, based on his past history, that he would hit .250 or so and provide some excitement with some HR's and some doubles.  And provide some speed on the bases and steady fielding.

This is why I said earlier that I am not surprised at how badly he is doing.  I am absolutely stunned. Not that he is struggling so much right away, but how BADLY he is struggling.   He honestly, to me, looks like a high school player trying to hit big league pitching.  And his fielding seems very iffy as well.  It seemed to all start in that first game when he looked so confused on that pop fly that fell between him and the other 2 guys.  I remember thinking then that he looked like a kid playing baseball for the first time....not an elite athlete.

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I mean think about it. You or I could get up to bat and probably get a hit or two from sheer luck. That isn't what you want from a guy penciled in as your next superstar.

That is maybe the one thing of all that stuns me.  His complete lack of ability to even make good contact.  This kid has played baseball his entire life.....and dominated.  All the way up to AAA.   Yet he looks like someone who just started playing.  He isn't just 'slumping'.   He is completely and utterly being dominated in a way that I never would have dreamed possible. 

It defies belief really. 

For those who say JH isn't costing games, I went along until the game-changing play in the field last game. 

Inning 6, Orioles down 1-0.
flyout, walk, walk, flyout.
Akin relieves, gives up run-scoring single to Melendez, 2-0.
Valazquez walks to load the bases. Then Massey hits a ground ball to Holliday that squirts past his glove and it's 4-0 KC, soon to be 6-0 before the inning ends.

So it's tempting to think, "Hmm, I bet Norby (or Urias) would have made that play."

24 minutes ago, now said:

For those who say JH isn't costing games, I went along until the game-changing play in the field last game. 

Valazquez walks to load the bases. Then Massey hits a ground ball to Holliday that squirts past his glove and it's 4-0 KC, soon to be 6-0 before the inning ends.

So it's tempting to think, "Hmm, I bet Norby (or Urias) would have made that play."

That is a really good point.  I only read about that play as I didn't see the game but just now went and watched it.   A solid defender makes that play 98 x out of 100.   I am not saying he could have thrown the runner out 100% of the time, but many defenders could have or at the very least knocked it down and prevented another run scoring.

I do think at some point, probably not this year, JH will turn a corner and start making the plays and hitting the way he has his entire baseball life.   You don't just 'lose' it just like that.   Not when you have been the best at every level you have played at.   But for right now he is costing the O's big time.  Not only with his hitting, but his very shaky fielding and throwing.  I was 100% wrong on his readiness to play in the majors and at this point his confidence has to be at a 0.00.  

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 hour ago, now said:

If Holliday does make that play, he is not getting the out at first, just preventing one of the runs, which would have scored on the next batter.

1 hour ago, now said:

He leads the team with 3 OAA. When someone on the broadcast mentioned OAA weighs close plays at first highly, it all made sense. He makes every play close the way he throws. If he keeps it up he'll be 25 OAA by the end of the season despite fanning on balls hit at him.

Edited by Malike

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

He leads the team with 3 OAA. When someone on the broadcast mentioned OAA weighs close plays at first highly, it all made sense. He makes every play close the way he throws. If he keeps it up he'll be 25 OAA by the end of the season despite fanning on balls hit at him.

They didn’t say “close plays at first”. They said it weighs the runner’s speed.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

They didn’t say “close plays at first”. They said it weighs the runner’s speed.

Ah, that makes sense. Only the fastest guys in the league hit the ball to him. He got Christian Vazquez by a step on a hot shot, he really gets down the line.

Edited by Malike