Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Just now, Malike said:

I think the posters here are more emotionally fragile about his start to the season than he is to be honest.

Sure, but I don't know if it's really about him per se. It's more just that it's not done. No rookie is going to come up and go 1-50, especially not a 1:1 guy. 

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd give him 150 ABs. I believe in the talent and he's not causing the team to lose games. 

I bet Mike Elias believes in his talent and isn’t giving him 150 AB at the current production.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

If it has nothing to do with Holliday, why is it in this thread and why did you reply to my post that was about Holliday?

Because the claim is he can't learn anything in AAA.

That's a stupid claim- about Holliday or anyone else for that matter.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

This has nothing to do with Holliday.

I took issue with the idea that guys can't learn and improve at AAA.

I'm not surprised you can't see the difference.  

There is a difference between can’t learn and learning more at this level.

Holliday has rarely been challenged in the minors and he was always young and sometimes very young, for his level.

Im not opposed to sending him down although I would wait a little while longer but unless you feel he’s really getting damaged between the ears, I think sending him down is more of a ceremonial thing than something that will make a difference in his season and ultimately career.

I just feel he’s at the level of his development where learning at this level is better for him.

So when I say he has nothing left to prove, that’s kind of what I mean. Yea, in the literal sense he doesn’t have much to prove but he’s so advanced that he stands to better off up here imo.

But if he continues to look bad and guessing at pitches than maybe all he needs is the mental reset and I think that’s all sending him down will truly accomplish.

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think the posters here are more emotionally fragile about his start to the season than he is to be honest.

Could be.  Some posters seem emotionally fragile about the thought of him being sent down.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2024 at 10:39 AM, Warehouse said:

Looking at Baseball Savant data, Jackson has seen 192 pitches, taken 75 swings, 2 foul tips, and 21 complete whiffs.  Inclusive of foul tips, that is a 30.7% whiff rate.  

Small sample size and he’s only 20 but I think that is at least mildly concerning for a player touted to have a 70 grade hit tool .  Among qualified MLB hitters it would put him slightly below Kyle Schwarber and slightly ahead of Luis Robert.  Jackson Merrill has a 13.8% whiff rate in MLB so far.

I don’t necessarily buy the argument that there is nothing he can learn in AAA.  I’d like to see him get his whiff to 25% or less against non-Charlotte Knights pitching.

I think Elias will give him through Sunday to show progress and if not he’ll go down before the Yankees series. Some 2B vets may also have opt-outs triggering around this time. I don’t think Elias will want to waste one Jackson’s six full service years in 2024 if he’s going to struggle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warehouse said:

I don’t necessarily buy the argument that there is nothing he can learn in AAA.  I’d like to see him get his whiff to 25% or less against non-Charlotte Knights pitching.

I think Elias will give him through Sunday to show progress and if not he’ll go down before the Yankees series. Some 2B vets may also have opt-outs triggering around this time. I don’t think Elias will want to waste one Jackson’s six full service years in 2024 if he’s going to struggle.

Full agree here. Good post. 

This might have been covered already somewhere in the 54 pages, but what I'm most disappointed in is his approach so far. I can't find any minor league spray charts, but he seemed to me to be spraying line drives all over the field in the highlights that I've seen, but in the majors so far his contact has mostly been to the pull side (see below). I would have thought that someone with the bat control he's demonstrated at lower levels would have been making more an effort by now to get out of this by poking some hits to left. That's the biggest argument for me in favor of sending him back down for a while, is he just doesn't look like he's going up there with much of a plan for success. 

image.png.24fe939dd3cfc337d49f2831ec2e4bd4.png

Edited by deward
  • Upvote 1

You have to evaluate how much his struggle is impacting our chances to win. We've been playing well enough it really hasn't done anything... yet. He's not learning anything at AAA. You keep him up here as long as you can until we simply have to play someone else while he resets himself.

9 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I don’t think Elias will want to waste one Jackson’s six full service years in 2024 if he’s going to struggle.

This is the biggest motivation in sending him down if he continues to look bad imo.

5 minutes ago, G54377 said:

You have to evaluate how much his struggle is impacting our chances to win. We've been playing well enough it really hasn't done anything... yet. He's not learning anything at AAA. You keep him up here as long as you can until we simply have to play someone else while he resets himself.

Again, this isn't a thing. No team just lets a rookie struggle this badly for this long, even if they aren't impacting the game. You can take issue with history if you want, but Holliday will not have an infinite leash because that is simply not a thing. It is what it is.