Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

There may be something to the pitch sequencing thing. And he probably doesn’t have as electric of the same stuff profile as Skenes?

But he does not have the same consistent command as Burnes. There is a significant difference there.

What separates good pitchers from great pitchers is consistency.  GRod throws a perfect changeup that starts above the knees and dives below the knees for a swinging strike.  He throws a slider that starts over the middle and then off the outer half for a swinging strike.  He throws a sharp breaking curve and a 96-98 mph fastball.   But sometimes he goes a whole game not finding that changeup or slider and he hangs them while he’s trying to get the feel.    Burnes doesn’t make many mistakes.  His pitches are consistent from one pitch to the next and for entire games.  There’s a thin line between good and great.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I just can’t get nervous about something that we have so little info on.

Tendinitis is something everyone tends to go through at some point in their lives. You get treatment, you rest it and you move on.

If that’s all it is, no biggie.  If it’s a larger deal than that, I would then be worried but since Elias said before the AS break that he believes Holliday will be out there soon (how he defines soon, who knows), I tend to think it was more of the no biggie variety than something larger.

I just wish we had more info. 

I get that. My uneasiness is not knowing the extent of it but I also have a long history of my own elbow issues that add to my anxiety over someone else's elbow problems. I'm sure that he's probably just overworked it, which I can understand given that's the biggest knock on his defense and him being lauded for his hard work. I'm not suggesting that it will be a chronic thing or more serious but it's also not nothing and I get why we don't know more about it. 

11 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I get that. My uneasiness is not knowing the extent of it but I also have a long history of my own elbow issues that add to my anxiety over someone else's elbow problems. I'm sure that he's probably just overworked it, which I can understand given that's the biggest knock on his defense and him being lauded for his hard work. I'm not suggesting that it will be a chronic thing or more serious but it's also not nothing and I get why we don't know more about it. 

The extent doesn’t seem to be a big deal if he’s coming back soon though.  I can’t imagine the Os are rushing him back and risking anything with him.  Plus he was still hitting, so it’s not like he was completely shut down.

But I do understand the idea of “being nervous” due to the lack of info. It makes sense. Its just not a feeling I have because I think they are just being overly cautious with him.

I actually think it’s a good thing.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

What separates good pitchers from great pitchers is consistency.  GRod throws a perfect changeup that starts above the knees and dives below the knees for a swinging strike.  He throws a slider that starts over the middle and then off the outer half for a swinging strike.  He throws a sharp breaking curve and a 96-98 mph fastball.   But sometimes he goes a whole game not finding that changeup or slider and he hangs them while he’s trying to get the feel.    Burnes doesn’t make many mistakes.  His pitches are consistent from one pitch to the next and for entire games.  There’s a thin line between good and great.   

I agree with everything here! I couldn’t have possibly stated this any better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Orioles Jim said:

Easing him back in.  Makes sense. I thought it might start Tuesday but glad to see it happening.  Of course that also means he only gets so many at bats per game too, which kin of sucks.

OTOH, that may signal that they are good with the offense and just want his elbow healthy.

• Upvote 1

From Dan Szymborski, reviewing the ZiPS pre-season top 100:

As I’ve said before, Jackson Holliday might actually be underrated at this point. I got a lot of complaints about the “bearish” .255/.341/.381 projection for him coming into the season, but ZiPS (and I) shared the belief that people were coming too quickly on him. He’s still extremely likely to be a fantastic player, but considering he’s a 20-year-old who blasted through four levels of the minors, it’s not the weirdest thing ever that he’d see a consolidation season. That .336/.332 OBP/SLG isn’t really that far behind his projection, especially considering ZiPS expected the major league offensive environment to be better than it has been this season.

Coby Mayo has had the better season but still wouldn’t come close to passing Holliday if I rerolled the full top prospects right now. James Wood actually has surpassed Holliday, though that will only last until he exceeds the rookie maximum and sheds his prospect status; he was legitimately excellent in the minors this year. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Easing him back in.  Makes sense. I thought it might start Tuesday but glad to see it happening.  Of course that also means he only gets so many at bats per game too, which kin of sucks.

OTOH, that may signal that they are good with the offense and just want his elbow healthy.

And he can get a games worth of productivity in two innings!

Good to see him hitting well.  He can hit mediocre pitching like a wild man.

I am still concerned about his overall swing/stance (he still has the high leg kick) and how that translates to elite pitching.  Further the fact that he has elbow issues as a non pitcher and as a 20 year old.  It is very odd. 

11 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Good to see him hitting well.  He can hit mediocre pitching like a wild man.

I am still concerned about his overall swing/stance (he still has the high leg kick) and how that translates to elite pitching.  Further the fact that he has elbow issues as a non pitcher and as a 20 year old.  It is very odd. 

Are you a swing expert now too? Please, he's going to be a stud and you'll delete this account like you did with the one where you claim you told us all that Nelson Cruz should be signed because you sure as heck didn't do it from this account that is 2 years old and then come back brand new telling us all that you knew Holliday was going to be a monster. This drivel is getting old man.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

Are you a swing expert now too? Please, he's going to be a stud and you'll delete this account like you did with the one where you claim you told us all that Nelson Cruz should be signed because you sure as heck didn't do it from this account that is 2 years old and then come back brand new telling us all that you knew Holliday was going to be a monster. This drivel is getting old man.

I deleted my account?  I think you have it completely backwards lol. 

I was proven 100% correct about NC.  Why would I delete my account because of that?  Just lol. 

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

Did somebody say “busted”? Lol 😆 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Did somebody say “busted”? Lol 😆 

Yeah....except I 100000000000000% have never deleted any account I have had here.  Never.  IF I am lying I will give you every dime I have and I give the mods permission to prove me wrong. 

The fact that anyone thinks that is beyond ridiculous.