Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

On 7/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, Rbiggs2525 said:

Love the guy and when he’s right, to me the most talented hitter on the roster. There is something off with him. We are used to the Mounty that can hit it 440 almost clearing both bullpens. He hit the ball on the screws against the Yankees and it went 95 MPH and 365 feet.

Are we playing the Blue Jays soon

On 7/19/2024 at 8:37 PM, LookitsPuck said:

Anybody know why Holliday came out in the 6th? Hit 2 dingers and a walk. Says defensive substitution, so maybe they’re getting him back in slowly defensively? 

Yes.  They said they were going to do this. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:21 PM, Roy Firestone said:

Mounty and Westy too(Westy will figure it out)..Mounty is basically who he is...incredibly streaky and slumpy...

I used to sing a stupid song on my head that went like Adam Jones will swing at everything. Now he is nowhere near that level but he’s getting there lately. Sliders are killing him just like they killed Adam Jones.

If Urias has to go on the DL, there's room for either Holiday or Mayo to join the team in Miami.  Holliday would be better for the defense, as he slots in at 2B and allows Westburg to stay at 3B.  Mayo would do more to boost the offense which currently is having trouble against lefties.  

Short of injuries, the only way either Holliday or Mayo gets up here before September is if Elias is able to trade Urias, Mountcastle or Mateo.  

2 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Short of injuries, the only way either Holliday or Mayo gets up here before September is if Elias is able to trade Urias, Mountcastle or Mateo.  

This is something I was thinking about earlier. I don’t think they can trade Mateo at this point. 

I don’t know that there’s anyone else in the system who can play SS at the ML level if Gunnar (god forbid) goes out for any extended period. I’m sure they were assuming that Holliday could take over if that happened, but that’s probably not going to be on the table with the elbow issue. 

Other than Holliday, it feels like they have a lot of IFs who you could put at 2B or maybe 3B, and you’d be okay, but that  you couldn’t really get by with at SS — guys like Westburg, Urias, Norby, Maton, etc. Servideo is playing a lot of SS for the Tides at the moment, but his bat won’t play at the ML level.

I think they have to keep Mateo for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is something I was thinking about earlier. I don’t think they can trade Mateo at this point. 

I don’t know that there’s anyone else in the system who can play SS at the ML level if Gunnar (god forbid) goes out for any extended period. I’m sure they were assuming that Holliday could take over if that happened, but that’s probably not going to be on the table with the elbow issue. 

Other than Holliday, it feels like they have a lot of IFs who you could put at 2B or maybe 3B, and you’d be okay, but that  you couldn’t really get by with at SS — guys like Westburg, Urias, Norby, Maton, etc. Servideo is playing a lot of SS for the Tides at the moment, but his bat won’t play at the ML level.

I think they have to keep Mateo for the rest of the year.

Plus Mateo has a real bench role and he has expanded that role because he plays a solid second base.

Urias makes more sense to trade because he should have more value as he is more of an everyday player than Mateo is and there are enough offense starved teams out there where Urias becomes a decent starting player for them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Plus Mateo has a real bench role and he has expanded that role because he plays a solid second base.

Urias makes more sense to trade because he should have more value as he is more of an everyday player than Mateo is and there are enough offense starved teams out there where Urias becomes a decent starting player for them.

On which contending teams would Urias be an upgrade to what they have?

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Honestly, I don’t think he’s value is only to a contender.

That said, I would have to look but considering 3/4 of the league are contenders for the playoffs, there are definitely teams out there that need IF depth and starters.

14 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Huh???

We didn’t sign Corbin Burnes in the offseason. We traded Joey Ortiz, DL Hall and a draft pick for him.

Tyler Wells is out until late next year after having Tommy John surgery.

For the next 15 years??? Huh? You get 6 full years of team control with any player. My

I meant acquired - it was the offseason. 🤦‍♂️ I think we have new owners now if I’m not mistaken. You can’t assume we won’t sign our best players anymore. Anyhow, I severely doubt Elias will be parting with Holliday, Mayo or Basallo. Our next tier guys are better than most teams top tier guys. 

37 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

The Dodgers but Friedman recently made a comment to the effect of the Dodgers primarily being interested in acquiring star players vs. marginal upgrades.

29 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

The Dodgers but Friedman recently made a comment to the effect of the Dodgers primarily being interested in acquiring star players vs. marginal upgrades.

Assuming Elias balks at the price, I hope LAD beats NYY for any of Crochet, Skubal and Scott that move as a warmup for beating them for Soto this winter.

Holliday has closed to within 2 wRC of Connor Norby in the counting stat International League MVP chase.     Fair chance trade deadline places Norby into MLB or the PCL next week.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think you could make a very reasonable argument that he’s better than what the Dodgers, Yankees, Royals, and Pirates have at 3B right now. 

And beyond that, I’d wager he’s a substantial upgrade to what numerous contending teams have as their primary IF utility player. 

One thing that I think has happened a little bit to this fanbase as the talent level has skyrocketed over the last few seasons is that we’ve lost sight of the value of “solid” or even “somewhat below average” players. I think when you’re looking at value gained/lost, the jump from “terrible” to “mostly competent” can be just as important as the jump from “mostly competent” to “good.” Some of these teams have had injuries or incumbent players that have just collapsed — a guy like Urias could absolutely help them, and presumably at very little cost.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If your team is starved for offense, the last player you want is Urias.  Or maybe 2nd to last after McCann 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If your team is starved for offense, the last player you want is Urias.  Or maybe 2nd to last after McCann 

Since April 15, he has a 122 wRC+.

His career wRC+ is 107 and it’s been over 100 every year of his career (including right now) except last year..when it was 99.

Only 9 teams in all of baseball have a wRC+ of 100 or higher at second base and only 11 are 100 or higher at third base.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 4