What would you do?

baltfan

What would you do?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. If you were Elias and thought Holliday wasn’t going to win ROTY to get the pick, what would you do?

• Let him start Opening Day with the Orioles
    • Keep him down until the service time deadline passes
    • Keep him down until Late July like they did Gunnar and keep his ROTY eligibility for 2025

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Honestly none of the options. I’d keep him down until May/June to ensure that my plan to get an extra year isn’t foiled by him still winning ROY. As a sports writer, I’d vote him in as ROY anyway to spite the system. As a union member, I’d start holding my union leadership accountable for why they didn’t fix this loophole, and directed their focus more on making sure the Scherzer’s of the world can earn every last dollar. 

Did you read about what was going on with the Union this week?

20 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Honestly none of the options. I’d keep him down until May/June to ensure that my plan to get an extra year isn’t foiled by him still winning ROY. As a sports writer, I’d vote him in as ROY anyway to spite the system. As a union member, I’d start holding my union leadership accountable for why they didn’t fix this loophole, and directed their focus more on making sure the Scherzer’s of the world can earn every last dollar. 

If you bring him up in late July, he could be ROTY the next year and get you the pick

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did you read about what was going on with the Union this week?

I saw some of it. Not sure why it’s being addressed now, but better late than never. Will still need to wait for the next contract negotiations. I don’t know how you address some of these issues, other than a salary floor and cap. Of course, the big earners will oppose the cap. 

Just now, waroriole said:

I saw some of it. Not sure why it’s being addressed now, but better late than never. Will still need to wait for the next contract negotiations. I don’t know how you address some of these issues, other than a salary floor and cap. Of course, the big earners will oppose the cap. 

None of the owners will oppose a cap.

The players won't accept a cap.

Even Cohen would rather pay less.

One thing the Union needs to do is to get a better arbitration system for these cases of suspected service time manipulation.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

One thing the Union needs to do is to get a better arbitration system for these cases of suspected service time manipulation.

The players in charge of the MLBPA won’t accept a cap. If that cap is tied into revenue, and a certain amount is required to be spent, would all players hold the same objections? If teams like Baltimore and Oakland are required to spend at least 100M that opens up more options for “middle class” players. 

2 hours ago, Orioles West said:

Until Elias sees otherwise too — he has to operate like he has been and assume that the budget is minimal and his only resources are limited. Until the new ownership group is approved, being a cash poor team is the world the O’s live in.

They are not a cash poor team, it’s just that the owner is hoarding the cash.  And it sounds like attendance will be up significantly, along with more revenue.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

They are not a cash poor team, it’s just that the owner is hoarding the cash.  And it sounds like attendance will be up significantly, along with more revenue.  

Cash poor roster based on payroll may have been a better way for me to put it. 

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s interesting that most of the people on this site treat this as a business just like many are alleging Elias is doing.  If you don’t think he is ready enough to get you the pick, send him down and get the extra year.  Of note, some of what Elias said is legit.  Holliday struck out 9 of 15 times versus lefties in the majors.  If you want him to be an everyday player, you can’t afford that level of incompetence.  Maybe he would pick it up in the majors, but this team is contending and can’t afford to accommodate that development. 

We won 101 games last year and accommodated Henderson’s development just fine.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We won 101 games last year and accommodated Henderson’s development just fine.

Not really the same. Henderson was older, got twice as many AAA plate appearances, was up in 2022 and had a much clearer path in the infield ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Not really the same. Henderson was older, got twice as many AAA plate appearances, was up in 2022 and had a much clearer path in the infield ahead of him.

2B was/is pretty clear.   Henderson figured things out when he was 20/21.   Holliday had it figured out at 19.   Why do we ding this kid because he’s done what very few have done at his age?   I would argue that Holliday is more ready to succeed offensively than Henderson was last April.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And get MiLBers paid appropriately.  That would  go a long way to better career earnings and making baseball more attractive to younger athletes.  It’s absurd MiLB players aren’t part of the union and get no benefits. 

On 3/22/2024 at 6:41 PM, baltfan said:

Yes you can.  Elias I am sure has projections that give him a good idea of whether he thinks Holliday will be ROTY.  It would be irresponsible of him not to consider them.  

OTOH it would be complete lunacy for him to believe such projections would provide information valid enough to act on.