2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

I’m guessing,

1. Gunnar L SS

2. Westburg R 2B (Aka our heart and soul)

3. Santa S RF

4. O’Hearn L 1B

5. Adley S C

6. Cowser L LF

7. Big Heston L DH (Bench for Mountcastle🤮)

8. Mullins L CF

9. Urias R 3B

Tough Calls

- Benching McCann and risking they run wild on Adley. Have to do it. Need offense. Gotta sacrifice. 

- Heston over Mounty. Heston had a good AB in the 9th. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m guessing,

1. Gunnar L SS

3. Santa S RF

4. O’Hearn L 1B

5. Adley S C

6. Cowser L LF

8. Mullins L CF

9. Urias R 3B

Tough Calls

- Benching McCann and risking they run wild on Adley. Have to do it. Need offense. Gotta sacrifice. 

Is Adley better offensively than McCann right now?

The key decision is (a) Mounty at 1B and O’Hearn at DH, or (b) O’Hearn at 1B and Kjerstad at DH.

Weighing all of the considerations, I would go with (b).

If the decision were just Mounty or O’Hearn at first base with the other on the bench, I think the clear choice would be O’Hearn. 

Mounty is perhaps 15 runs better on defense over a full season than O’Hearn, though gap may have narrowed some with O’Hearn getting more reps over the last month.  To offset that, his wOBA needs to be ~30 points higher.  Since 2023, O’Hearn’s wOBA vs. RHP has been .47 better than Mounty and his xwOBA has been .41 better.  

For Kjerstad, it becomes the same question - do you think his bat today will be in the neighborhood of .30 wOBA points than Mounty.  It’s a tougher question to answer given Kjerstad’s lighter track record.  However, when you factor in Lugo’s platoon splits, the Wall, and Mounty’s prospects against a pitcher with a 9-pitch arsenal, I’m inclined to go with O’Hearn/Kjerstad.  

Further, I would prioritize getting momentum on offense - it’s really important to score early and there is a high likelihood that there isn’t a defensive play that Mounty would make and O’Hearn wouldn’t (I know there was one yesterday).  Additionally, Mounty off the bench provides more pinch-hitting flexibility.

• Upvote 1

Any chance Holliday gets the start today?

I would assume no…but he did have a good last game and came in for Gunnar and drew another walk. 

Urias is 7-29 since coming back and one of those hits was a gift double yesterday. 

To be clear, I’m not saying they should start Holliday, just wondering if they would consider it.

• Upvote 1

I’m starting Mountcastle over Kjerstad. His defense at 1B is important and I don’t think Kjerstad provides much of an upgrade with the bat, if at all. They both chase a ton but Mountcastle hits the ball harder and whiffs less. 

2 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I’m starting Mountcastle over Kjerstad. His defense at 1B is important and I don’t think Kjerstad provides much of an upgrade with the bat, if at all. They both chase a ton but Mountcastle hits the ball harder and whiffs less. 

Mounty is 2-4 with a double vs Lugo.

I agree. I’m sticking with him. I like Kjerstad a lot but this may not be the best situation for him.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m guessing,

1. Gunnar L SS

3. Santa S RF

4. O’Hearn L 1B

5. Adley S C

6. Cowser L LF

8. Mullins L CF

9. Urias R 3B

Tough Calls

This would be my starting nine but move Adley down. Gunnar, Westburg, O'Hearn, Santander, Cowser, Kjerstad, Adley, Mullins, Urias. Use Mountcastle, Rivera, and Slater liberally off the bench if they bring in a lefty. 

I think a lefty with reverse splits is about the worst possible matchup for us. Lugo is more favorable and we are going to score some runs today. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mounty is 2-4 with a double vs Lugo.

I agree. I’m sticking with him. I like Kjerstad a lot but this may not be the best situation for him.

Hyde only likes to use him in high leverage pinch hitting situations.

As a team, 15.9% of PA's were classified as high leverage. 23.7% of Kjerstad's PA's were.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any chance Holliday gets the start today?

I would assume no…but he did have a good last game and came in for Gunnar and drew another walk. 

Urias is 7-29 since coming back and one of those hits was a gift double yesterday. 

To be clear, I’m not saying they should start Holliday, just wondering if they would consider it.

I would consider it. He would have to play over Urias though.