2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm with you. 

You guys are weird. 🙃  I like the daily strategizing about the lineup.  That's part of winning baseball.  Now the why are the young guys playing, you just gotta weed that out.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Laughable answer.

I don't mind it if they follow through with it the next few weeks. I would have preferred to see Cowser start already, but I understand having a different approach with your bench in weeks with multiple off-days vs in normal weeks where you are playing 6+ days in a row. 

You would think that eventually, Elias will step in. He did draft these kids to upgrade his baseball team. Until then Hyde has the leeway and the stubborn desire to dance with the ones that brought him. I like Austin Hays, but he looks awful at the plate right now.

Edited by Bird Lady

26 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If it wasn't already apparent, this is verbal evidence that Cowser is a fourth OF until further notice and probably the 25th guy on the roster (Kemp being 26).  Not a platoon guy, not a 3-4 game a week starter.  

Expect him to start 1-2 times a week tops until there is an injury to an outfielder, Mountcastle, or O'Hearn.  

Maybe this will reduce the number of daily lineup complaints, as the matter has been settled by the guy making the lineups. 

Edited by ChuckS
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

You would think that eventually, Elias will step in. He did draft these kids to upgrade his baseball team. Until then Hyde has the leeway and the stubborn desire to dance with the ones that brought him. I like Austin Hays, but he looks awful at the plate right now.

So does Westburg, but nobody is screaming to not let him play every day.

Just now, ChuckS said:

If it wasn't already apparent, this is written evidence that Cowser is a fourth OF until further notice.  Not a platoon guy, not a 3-4 game a week starter.  

Expect him to start 1-2 times a week tops until there is an injury to an outfielder, Mountcastle, or O'Hearn.  

Anyone thinking that Cowser would be a 3-4 game a week starter coming into the year was very misguided. 

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Cowser had a great spring. That only means so much but what it does mean is that he is likely seeing the ball well and has confidence.

So how do You capitalize on that, when you are “trying to win every game”…you don’t play him.  It’s nonsensical.

Cowser went 2 or 3 for his last 17 with 7 strikeouts to end the spring.   He’ll get more AB’s if Hays doesn’t hit.  Until then, he’s a late inning defensive replacement for Santander and a one start a week type of guy.   Until then, he’s got to figure out how to stay sharp until he gets his chance.

7 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

Hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty confident that Hyde and Elias are on the same page the vast majority of the time. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheWall said:

Anyone thinking that Cowser would be a 3-4 game a week starter coming into the year was very misguided. 

Some people even thought there were enough AB for Cowser and Kjerstad.

30 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I just wouldn't read the Ongoing Lineup Thread. 

You know what you are in for when you venture in here. 

Generally, I don’t intentionally open the lineup threads.   But when I’m reading other threads and get to the end, I’ll click on “next unread topic” and eventually I stumble in here.  I’d really like to avoid it if there’s an easy way to do it.   

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser went 2 or 3 for his last 17 with 7 strikeouts to end the spring.   He’ll get more AB’s if Hays doesn’t hit.  Until then, he’s a late inning defensive replacement for Santander and a one start a week type of guy.   Until then, he’s got to figure out how to stay sharp until he gets his chance.

Why do you think Cowser's playing time is tied to Hays?  

13 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

If he's the '4th outfielder' then if one of the other 3 are no performing/hurt/need a rest, it figures that Cowser is the likely replacement, no?

15 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Cowser is likely only getting AB against RHP in the early going.  They are probably going to play Mullins, Santander, and O’Hearn against virtually every RHP.   Mountcastle and Hays are regulars but if they are rested once a week, it would be against a RHP.  So Cowser might get 2 starts a week, at most.   Anything more than that is tied into getting more of Hays AB or Mountcastle AB against RHP.   Cowser needs a bad slump or injury to either one of those two to get a bigger role.  I just think Hays is his best chance on both counts.

41 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty confident that Hyde and Elias are on the same page the vast majority of the time. 

Some people even think that Sigbot makes out the lineup with minor changes by Hyde.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Some people even think that Sigbot makes out the lineup with minor changes by Hyde.

I think Elias/Sig know what players they want in the lineup.  It might be that Hyde creates the 1-9 from there but I really don't think Hyde is doing lineups on his own.