2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

2 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Gunnar is very fast so I'm not really sure how this proves anything.  He's not Mateo fast but he's very fast and was one of the best baserunners in the league last year.  

Good point.  I'm on the side of stacking the best hitters/best OBP over the best runners/best situational hitters.  There's still a lot of teams that will bat a speedy guy w/ a sub .300 OBP who can bunt a guy over (not saying Cedric was a sub .300 OBP guy).

Is there a way to put an entire thread on ignore?   I’m not asking that to be clever, I actually want to know.   I know you can mark one as “read” to avoid seeing previous posts, but is there a way to just never see the thread at all?

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Why can't Cowser play RF?

I guess they are afraid to bench one of Santander or Mounty / O'Hearn?

DH Santander, put Cowser in RF.

I’m not asking for Cowser to play everyday right now.

Im asking they start him at least 3 games a week. Put him on a 300-450 at bat pace. 

And you know what will happen?  He will get 25 at bats this month, go 4-25 and idiots will say, see..the Os knew not to play him. 

It’s SSDD and the morons will be out in full force.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is there a way to put an entire thread on ignore?   I’m not asking that to be clever, I actually want to know.   I know you can mark one as “read” to avoid seeing previous posts, but is there a way to just never see the thread at all?

I'm with you. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just wouldn't read the Ongoing Lineup Thread. 

You know what you are in for when you venture in here. 

BTW, I don't think you can fault them too much for the lineup choices right now.  The roster configuration that doesn't leave room for highly regarded prospects to be worked into the lineup, is another thing.  

• Upvote 1

Some of you might have a better time playing video games that telling professionals how to make a baseball lineup.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, this is a place for discussion so I'll join in and discuss our hitters. I think we have 2 guys who would make for very strong #2 hitters (and maybe even #3 hitters) in Gunnar and Adley. Gunnar's power goes to waste leading off so you could stick him #2-4 and it would be a great spot for him. If you bump Adley down to #3 then that slightly diminishes the impact of his ability to get on base which he's so good at.

This team doesn't really have a true traditional leadoff hitter at the moment. But we do have guys that would make for excellent #2 hitters and one of those just happens to be very fast and a good base runner and putting him #1 gives him more PA's, so I totally can see why he has been chosen to lead off. I just wish there was a way to have runners on bases for him when he's up to bat so that the Orioles get the most from his power ability.

22 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think Cowser is up against Hays or even Santander for starts.  Those guys are entrenched. 

It would come at the expense of O'Hearn with Santander moving to DH.  But Hyde/Elias won't sit O'Hearn unless he really struggles for an extended period of time.  40, 50 games. 

O’Hearn is probably under the most pressure to perform the first half of this season. O’Hearn was very good last season as a platoon bat against RHP, but needs to show he’s more than a one year wonder. Hays and Santander even if they slump will start more often than not. 

If O’Hearn is putting up a .600 OPS in late April it’s time to give Cowser more at bats. I think Cowser will get his chance, but the Orioles are going to ease him in slower than many of us would like. 

Did anyone on this board seriously think Cowser wouldn’t start in the first 4 games and then Hyde’s answer is that as the season goes on it will be easier to get him in the lineup on rest days???? Apparently the team believes they have a better chance to win with Hays and Mountcastle playing most every game against a righty.  That’s perfectly fine….then trade your players as I’m sure there are other teams that value our prospects more than this team.