Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He has been able to get by without his best stuff quite often this year.

He has been very good overall but he has done absolutely nothing to make even remotely second guess the idea of letting him go and not pay him some huge contract.

He has to get back to getting more Ks and missing more bats. I just didn’t think he had a lot yesterday and he knew it. 

He went 6 IP of 1 run ball. Induced a ton of weak contact. This is a whole different take on Burnes today by everyone if we won 6-1. Not just you.  Obviously this is load management and we need him for the playoffs. 

We don’t score runs for Burnes. Our hitters need to stop taking the night off mentally because our Ace is pitching. It’s human nature, but they need to fix that. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

He went 7 IP of 1 run ball. Induced a ton of weak contact. This is a whole different take on Byrnes today by everyone if we won 6-1. 

We don’t score runs for Burnes. Our hitters need to stop taking the night off mentally because our Ace is pitching. It’s human nature, but they need to fix that. 

Or they just faced a good pitcher and they didn't hit well against them. Not every bad performance has to be some sort of psychological shortcoming.

Why do we always think poorly of our own players in these situations instead of giving credit to the other guy?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He went 6 IP of 1 run ball. Induced a ton of weak contact. This is a whole different take on Burnes today by everyone if we won 6-1. Not just you.  Obviously this is load management and we need him for the playoffs. 

I’m mostly in this camp.  Burnes is on pace to throw throw 197 innings at a 2.68 ERA, and people are complaining?  I’ve been mildly disappointed that he hasn’t gotten deeper into a few games, but I’d take 197 innings any day.  And you’re right that he’s gotten very little run support of late.  4 runs in the last 4 games.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m mostly in this camp.  Burnes is on pace to throw throw 197 innings at a 2.68 ERA, and people are complaining?  I’ve been mildly disappointed that he hasn’t gotten deeper into a few games, but I’d take 197 innings any day.  And you’re right that he’s gotten very little run support of late.  4 runs in the last 4 games.  

You're right, overall, and there's not really much room to complain. But I would like to see him turn it up a notch when he's not getting run support. He should be able to out-pitch Berrios and he didn't. It's hard to complain about his overall numbers, but I'm not sure why he can't figure out a way to crank it up there late in the game. You can't allow a hit to Vogelbach. He gave him a cookie and I don't quite get that pitch call. 

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

Boy I don't like that from Burnes much at all, but it's May, so whatever I guess. Guess Hyde can be let off the hook for pulling him.

He told Hyde he was fatigued before Hyde pulled him . Hyde IS off the hook.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

You're right, overall, and there's not really much room to complain. But I would like to see him turn it up a notch when he's not getting run support. He should be able to out-pitch Berrios and he didn't. It's hard to complain about his overall numbers, but I'm not sure why he can't figure out a way to crank it up there late in the game. You can't allow a hit to Vogelbach. He gave him a cookie and I don't quite get that pitch call. 

It wax a poorly executed pitch.  It happens.  Even excellent pitchers make some mistakes in key spots.  I’ll take one run in six innings every time.

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

That’s really not good.  

If it happened a lot, I’d be concerned.  Something to keep an eye on, but feeling a bit gassed one game is going to happen.  

11 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Yeah no shade to him, as the ERA speaks for itself and the offense has been brutal behind him. But he has gone against Berrios, Trevor Williams, Luis Gil, and Ross Stripling his last 4 games and was out pitched by Williams and Gil.

No offense, but what difference does it make who was pitching for the other team?  Sometimes a mediocre pitcher has a good game.   If you’re the opposing pitcher, that’s not your fault.  Are we blaming Burnes that we got shut out by Williams and Gil?   You can’t win a game in which you score zero runs, last I checked.   

I will grant you that Burnes so far has looked very good, not great, in most of his starts.  Still, he hasn’t thrown a single stinker.  We’ve had a good chance to win every time he’s pitched.  The bullpen blew two saves for him, and we were shut out twice.   I really can’t fault him for any of it.  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No offense, but what difference does it make who was pitching for the other team?  Sometimes a mediocre pitcher has a good game.   If you’re the opposing pitcher, that’s not your fault.  Are we blaming Burnes that we got shut out by Williams and Gil?   You can’t win a game in which you score zero runs, last I checked.   

I will grant you that Burnes so far has looked very good, not great, in most of his starts.  Still, he hasn’t thrown a single stinker.  We’ve had a good chance to win every time he’s pitched.  The bullpen blew two saves for him, and we were shut out twice.   I really can’t fault him for any of it.  

My post was in response to one stating that people were saying the O’s finally had a Game 1 starter in October. My point was that none of those guys are Game 1 playoff starters who Burnes would need to out pitch (obviously SSS). And I would feel better about a healthy Bradish “shutting down” a team at this point than I do Burnes just because his success this year has been more predicated on weak contact than K’s, which I think has been a tad disappointing. 

He’s still an ace though and I’m really happy he’s an Oriole. Last year his K% spiked almost 6% in the 2nd half so hopefully that happens again. A near 30% K rate with the weak contact he allows would be scary. But you’re right, the BP and offense have done him absolutely no favors this year and any complaints about him are more so nitpicking on how he could be even better. He’s still awesome. 

Edited by LGOrioles

It’s been interesting watching Burnes attack plans. Aside from the opener where he was spinning the curve for strikes and firing the cutter up in the zone, Burnes attack has been less aggressive and trying to induce chase from batters.  Curve mostly out of the zone, cutter at knees and off the plate to RHs.  Palmer mentioned on the broadcast Burnes preference to stay outside to hitters, but I took that to mean Palmer would like to see him occasionally work inside with fastball on hitters hands.  

It feels like Burnes has not fully clicked yet this year and I hope there is another gear to dominance, but agree with other posters that this version of Burnes churning out quality start after quality start is pretty darn good. 

4 minutes ago, Say O! said:

It’s been interesting watching Burnes attack plans. Aside from the opener where he was spinning the curve for strikes and firing the cutter up in the zone, Burnes attack has been less aggressive and trying to induce chase from batters.  Curve mostly out of the zone, cutter at knees and off the plate to RHs.  Palmer mentioned on the broadcast Burnes preference to stay outside to hitters, but I took that to mean Palmer would like to see him occasionally work inside with fastball on hitters hands.  

It feels like Burnes has not fully clicked yet this year and I hope there is another gear to dominance, but agree with other posters that this version of Burnes churning out quality start after quality start is pretty darn good. 

Worth noting he’s gotten off to a much better start this year than last year. He really turned it on in the second half. 

2020-2024 K-bb standing among qualified pitchers:

2020 - 7th of 48

2021 - 1st of 39

2022 - 7th of 45

2023 - 23rd of 44

2024 - 37th of 80

Hopefully beast mode is still in there.    He's in a strong enough team context that at least for me and many of the fans here, the overall experience will be heavily spiced by how he does in one or more tournament starts.

2024's spin through the AL East does mean something for him for polishing the FA pitcher resume.

The second half of 2022 was when David Stearns pushed him hard, and then the Brewers got antagonistic in arbitration about the results.     I hope the best of him wasn't used up then.    2022 1st half he was 3rd of 61, and 2022 2nd half he was 15th of 66.

He's still on the Cy Young short list, and I believe his unswept like streak of never having more BB than K in any given game endures even though he seems to be flirting with that often recently.

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

2020-2024 K-bb standing among qualified pitchers:

2020 - 7th of 48

2021 - 1st of 39

2022 - 7th of 45

2023 - 23rd of 44

2024 - 37th of 80

Hopefully beast mode is still in there.    He's in a strong enough team context that at least for me and many of the fans here, the overall experience will be heavily spiced by how he does in one or more tournament starts.

2024's spin through the AL East does mean something for him for polishing the FA pitcher resume.

The second half of 2022 was when David Stearns pushed him hard, and then the Brewers got antagonistic in arbitration about the results.     I hope the best of him wasn't used up then.    2022 1st half he was 3rd of 61, and 2022 2nd half he was 15th of 66.

He's still on the Cy Young short list, and I believe his unswept like streak of never having more BB than K in any given game endures even though he seems to be flirting with that often recently.

Yeah this is the concern. You can't really argue with the overall numbers, but it's worrying how little he is getting guys to swing and miss. Is that guy still in there? Maybe, but it seems not consistently at the very least.